What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
So, I fiddled with a bunch of stuff. Went up to 1320john$$$'s place yesterday and picked up an 800 Holley main body he had offered up on here. Thanks, buddy, but it's f-ing ORANGE!!! He says it came off a mopar.
View attachment 132738
What genius put carb dip in a paint can? Carbs don't fit!
View attachment 132739
Then, I split up a tree with a little help from my neighbor and his big, orange shovel (Kubota tractor)
View attachment 132740
Then, I put the trailer plug in the Rust-erado bumper because the new receiver didn't have provisions for it (the old bracket was on the factory hitch).
View attachment 132741
Thanks for the beers bud
And that slow par would run circles around you

Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I bought a new Eng stand for my V6 so i can get the eng on there and start seeing what the actual mileage is (the last owner told me 147K) The Th350 will be for sale if anyone wants it.
I am in S.W, Michigan... Worked when it was pulled out bcuz i test drove the car before we pulled the eng, $175 OBO.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well the garage heater project is kinda working but kinda a flop.

'70's ish cabin or small home style natural gas 33k btu vented heater.

Got it hooked up and the pilot light wouldn't light. Take pilot light assembly out and it's a bit dirty. Clean it out and reinstall and it's better but still weak. Strong enough to light the main burner though.

Get furnace lit, shuts off after 30 seconds because the thermostat thermocouple is right behind it and sits in a warm place. No prob move it to a cooler spot. Done.

Finally get it running long enough to burn the dust out. Flame is pretty yellow and it leaves a haze in the garage and makes my eyes water a bit, for sure it's burning rich. It has one of those propane grill style mixture adjustment rotary gates but it didn't do squat when I rotate it. It's starved for oxygen I assume. I need to either give it more air or turn the gas pressure down but I can't find the manual since it's so old so I don't know how.

Furnace runs for 2 minutes and the pilot light shuts off and the main gas shuts off. Maybe something else? I guess randomly it just dies. I can turn the valve from on to pilot right after it dies and it relights itself. Turn it back to on, burner lights, runs for 30 seconds and dies. Same thing.

If I hire a hvac person to come look it is going to cost $100 an hour and they are going to tell me I need a new heater. Internet just gives horror stories about how you will blow yourself up if you even look at a natural gas appliances without being a proper trained professional.

Either I fiddle with this $40 heater, buy another used $100-$200 heater, or buy a new $400 one.

With the pilot light being weak, the flame being yellow, and the pilot light blowing out and the main burner shutting off shortly after getting the heater on its a lot of stuff to go wrong, especially with no manual.

I think I might scrap this heater and get something else. I'm 2 evenings deep into diagnosing it and im probably 2 more before I get anywhere. I could have a different known good heater installed by that time.

Heck I tried!!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Well the garage heater project is kinda working but kinda a flop.

'70's ish cabin or small home style natural gas 33k btu vented heater.

Got it hooked up and the pilot light wouldn't light. Take pilot light assembly out and it's a bit dirty. Clean it out and reinstall and it's better but still weak. Strong enough to light the main burner though.

Get furnace lit, shuts off after 30 seconds because the thermostat thermocouple is right behind it and sits in a warm place. No prob move it to a cooler spot. Done.

Finally get it running long enough to burn the dust out. Flame is pretty yellow and it leaves a haze in the garage and makes my eyes water a bit, for sure it's burning rich. It has one of those propane grill style mixture adjustment rotary gates but it didn't do squat when I rotate it. It's starved for oxygen I assume. I need to either give it more air or turn the gas pressure down but I can't find the manual since it's so old so I don't know how.

Furnace runs for 2 minutes and the pilot light shuts off and the main gas shuts off. Maybe something else? I guess randomly it just dies. I can turn the valve from on to pilot right after it dies and it relights itself. Turn it back to on, burner lights, runs for 30 seconds and dies. Same thing.

If I hire a hvac person to come look it is going to cost $100 an hour and they are going to tell me I need a new heater. Internet just gives horror stories about how you will blow yourself up if you even look at a natural gas appliances without being a proper trained professional.

Either I fiddle with this $40 heater, buy another used $100-$200 heater, or buy a new $400 one.

With the pilot light being weak, the flame being yellow, and the pilot light blowing out and the main burner shutting off shortly after getting the heater on its a lot of stuff to go wrong, especially with no manual.

I think I might scrap this heater and get something else. I'm 2 evenings deep into diagnosing it and im probably 2 more before I get anywhere. I could have a different known good heater installed by that time.

Heck I tried!!
Just an idea. If you can find an old trailer house being scrapped. Get the furnace out of it. They make good garage heaters. I had three good radiant heaters a while back and scrapped them. If you talk to the furnace guys, they usually have old take-out furnaces they will sell cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just an idea. If you can find an old trailer house being scrapped. Get the furnace out of it. They make good garage heaters. I had three good radiant heaters a while back and scrapped them. If you talk to the furnace guys, they usually have old take-out furnaces they will sell cheap.
^^^^^This. I have an OLD Duotherm oil furnace that came out of my folk's house down in Chincoteague when they bought it. It's a downdraft, so the warm air blows across the slab and right at you if you're under the car. Works great when it works; it can be a little finicky. I rigged up a bypass off the pump, extended to rubber hoses with a filter, and run off-road diesel in it out of 5 gallon jugs. Jug gets light; swap it with a full one. The bypass negates having to prime it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor