What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I cleaned gutters at the rental property. Weeds growing out of them.
20200905_110516.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Anyone order bubblegum?
View attachment 156355
I did manage to get the two halves realigned before I put those globs down, now I have to grind and prep a plate for tomorrow.
That's a lot better than I can do. Coppernick had a good suggestion to weld some plate on the back side if you can get to it. I am no welder, but I would be willing to give it a try. That said, since I would not be able to trust my own welding performance, I would also drill and bolt the plates over (both sides if I were able to reach) the repaired area, and then weld the bolts and nuts on too.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So the drilling and bolting is really the intent of the rosette welds. If you're going to do both make sure you space the 2 apart.

That's a lot better than I can do. Coppernick had a good suggestion to weld some plate on the back side if you can get to it. I am no welder, but I would be willing to give it a try. That said, since I would not be able to trust my own welding performance, I would also drill and bolt the plates over (both sides if I were able to reach) the repaired area, and then weld the bolts and nuts on too.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
If I could take the axle out and was able leave the truck sit for a week I’d be doing that. GMT800 frames are a sort of semi boxed construction with about a half inch lip on the insides of the C channel, I have a lot of garbage to clean out before I can do that, but if I feel it needs it, I’ll be doing that in the future. I’m really just using this as an excuse to try rosette welds for a future brace setup on my Monte for a trunk shock mount.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
That's getting to my comfort level on a ladder. I'd need to do it regularly to not be a b*tch on the thing.

That's a 36 footer and it opens to 32'. Heights don't really bother me. The worst part is all that disgusting muck inside the gutters.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I've been putting up with an ear infection for the last week from welding slag in my ear and having been completely sober sense 2013 I have 0 tolerance to meds! Even if I don't take the pain killers I still feel wasted! That being said I am still working on the honey do list and making some progress.
I cleaned and closed the pool. The water was crystal clear no algae no dirt liner was scrubbed clean and I treated the water with a bunch of crap I never used before. Even bought a new cover and bubble. What do you bet that f-ker is still green when I open it!
KIMG1528.JPG

I also fixed my flag pole mount that ripped off the house
KIMG1529.JPG

And I installed a new stove because the old one tried to burn down the house
15994201003882753067504781289980.jpg

Then I turned my attention to my good old friend that's been sitting neglected for far to long. I needed it to go pick up the stove and couldn't see out of the windows so off to the coin opp shower for the big ole girl
KIMG1520.JPG
KIMG1521.JPG
KIMG1522.JPG

She was a dirty girl so I spent a ziploc bag of quarters soaping her up and rinsing away the stains
KIMG1523.JPG
KIMG1524.JPG
KIMG1525.JPG

It didn't skip a beat but the brakes and steering still SUCK! I think it's time to revisit bolth. It dose look a lot better than it did though.
KIMG1526.JPG
KIMG1527.JPG

I filled up the truck when I went to get the stove then today coming back from the car wash I filled the welder for tomorrow's project. This ear has me a little off balance but I'm going to try getting a few things done on the truck before tomorrow right now I just need to sit a bit so the pain in my head can subside.

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Plug or rose welds are actually a lot simpler than running a straight line bead. Basically it is just a hole that you fill in for the purpose of attaching one plate to another where you don't have any room to get a full pass laid down. When I was till using FCAW to install panels, most of my seams were lap joints and I would not only burn in both edges to each on both sides, I would drill the panel so I could lay in series of plug welds as well. The trick was to keep the width of the overlap as narrow and skinny as possible so that the overall joint became as tight as could be done. With my new rig I can go gas and solid wire and get a better seam with less heat to warp the panel; makes butt joints a finally achievable goal.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Oh, yeah, non-G project. More sanding and a final coat of spot putty to fill in the minor depressions that the eye can't see but the fingers can find. That will get sanded down to dust and then its primer filler time. Would have maybe got that far today but a thunderstorm complete with light show kind of side tracked things a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor