What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Sssssh! I want a TRX.

Well the good news is the jig won't be up for a few years if rot resistance was your justification for said TRX. Just downplay is as it comes along.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
replaced a busted water line from the meter to the house 100 ft of plex pipe and all new brass fitting's for 2g's total.
I had several quotes one for 6700. another for 7500.
I rented a mini escavator for the day 425. paid a mexicano 20 hr for 8hr and my friend who is a retired machine operator 500.
slamed it out in one day.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
And in other news my freinds 'roadbummer' I have been helping him on slowly over the past few years made some big, er, changes.

He bought a project 72 factory 318 auto car that had been modified in the 80's (paint, air shocks and cragars) and had a 383 put in it like 3 years ago. It needed some patch work in the quarters and front fenders and some underhood work along with exhaust and suspension rehab but it was a decent start.
View attachment 161509
View attachment 161512

Well I swung over by his place and the b*st*rd traded his project plus cash for a restored one without telling me! Haha! He actually called me a few weeks ago asking how to get the thing running better since the 2 barrel carter carb wasn't letting the thing idle and it died from the choke pulloff being too agressive. I talked through how to adjust the choke and he got it running way better so I was thinking he was finally getting the motivation to get the thing running again. I had found a rust free tank, spreadbore intake and rebuilt a holley carb for it with him. Turns out he just needed it running well enough to load it onto the trailer and convince the guy he traded that it ran well enough to chop off some on the price of the new one.

Honestly it was the better decision for him. He traded a nothing special 318 satellite (it did have buckets, console and ralley gages) with some rust for a legit 383 roadrunner pistol grip 4 speed in the exact color he wanted. The paint on it isn't perfect but it doesn't have any scabby patch work done and it's been restored for 5 or 7 years and still looks OK so they didn't bondo over rust for a quick flip. The guy he traded apparently said no trades but he responded well for a like for like trade and sounds like he took a good amount off the price for the red car. The guy he bought it from I think is just a Mopar nut and likes to restore stuff and it was an opportunity to save another one so it was a right time right place situation.

What he spent getting a done car is honestly less than he would have spent trying to get the one he had painted and in the end he ended up with a legit car vs. something that is kinda spliced together which although he doesn't care it's nice to have. Buying done vs. doing yourself is the right way to go in a $$$ sense and although it's not what i'm into, I told him he did the right thing.

It does need a few things (dumping the flex fan, putting a shroud in, getting some pesky dodge wiring to work) but it should be a nice cruiser for him. I am unsuccessful at convincing him to ditch the keystones for something else. I have to keep working on that :)

View attachment 161510
View attachment 161511
I'd say it's a win plus I like the '71 side markers better than the generic '72 up ones. I'd like a copy but in Petty blue.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What's the secret to painting in a garage without getting buckets of overspray dust back on the panel? Everything I have done in a garage turned out good but I had atrocious levels of overspray dust both from clear and basecoat settling out of the air and in the paint as it cures. Real good fans?

No real secret, whatever you can do to try and exchange the air within the space as consistently and efficiently as you can without reducing the ambient temperature too much. Mike’s impromptu temporary spray booth is pretty good, but lacks any real air makeup. We were both pink and peering through a literal fog by the time I finished the second coat.
Some decent box fans and furnace filters built into a fixture to place under the big door blowing outside would do the trick, but we frequently spray here when the outside temperatures are below 0, so that’s not really an option for us. Plus there’s always unhappy neighbors to consider when doing that living in suburbia.

Single stage paints and clearcoats are the worst offenders as far as becoming finely atomized and hanging in the air, simply because they’re so much lighter than primers. That being said, I’ve never really had much of a problem with overspray settling back onto the painted surface. A slower reducer will keep the paint surface “open” longer and allow some overspray to be absorbed into the finish. Basecoats are usually pretty good, not too much air pressure is needed to apply them when using a good HVLP gun, so I’ve never really had any problem with them.

The best protection against overspray with any products is to cover absolutely EVERYTHING you can, and that’s about it. Either that or pony up to rent a dedicated booth.
🤷🏼‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Joe, let us know how that new Optima holds up. I’ve heard some very disconcerting things about the longevity and quality of the new Optimas since the ownership changed hands. My 20+ year old Red Top finally bit the dust earlier this year and I’d like to replace it with another Red or Yellow Top, but have been leery with all the stories of early failures.
My yellow top gave out in 4 months over the winter, it was like 10 degrees out and dead and never held a charge again

• Sad
  • Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Worked on my Jeep today. got out my scanner and deleted the codes to shut the check engine light off and the light is still off so I'm getting kinda worried... :popcorn:

• Haha

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Worked on my Jeep today. got out my scanner and deleted the codes to shut the check engine light off and the light is still off so I'm getting kinda worried... :popcorn:

There is a better way.

c827e8820948de27171f0e88a85268a7.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor