What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I posted it through my phone last night and woke up today to see the notification things of likes on my post in the Monte thread. I was like hmm, I haven't posted in Mike's thread in a while. Click on it and somehow my electrical musings ended up there. Quickly delete!!!

I blame the interwebz.

Also all this pinewood derby talk reminds me of my time in the boy scouts. First year he let me do it myself with minimal help from him to follow the rules and I got smoked by a bunch of kids whos dad obviously did the work for them. He didn't make that mistake the next year that was for sure

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Somehow my weekend progress update got posted in Mike's turbo monte build. How that happened not sure.

Anyways,

Got 220V to the garage and to the back of the house for the mini split install planned for this summer done. Yeah its MN so you don't NEED AC but somehow the previous owners made it through the past few decades without putting AC in. I'd rather have AC than not so working on that.

However, you do NEED 220V to the garage to weld so thats good thats knocked out.

Now I just need the good ole state approved sticker applier, I mean inspector to come out and bless everything.

Inspection soapbox-
What I keep finding in house work is that in my opinion house work is not a higher art than auto repair. Nobody is inspecting the walmart tire change dude that they torqued the lug nuts, but the chance of a tire falling off your car and killing you is much higher than you failing to put an 110V outlet within 25ft of the AC unit. I'd argue it takes more experience and tools diagnosing a miss in an engine or rebuilding a transmission, 95% of what was is done plumbing or electrical wise on a house can be done with with a couple pliers, 2 screw drivers and a drill and some spade bits. I just find it weird how you legally need to bow down to the code for house stuff when automotive stuff can be just as dangerous and the extent of inspection for many states is non-existent and with the exception of a few states extends to "plug a car in and make sure it's not polluting more than the standard says"

However, I am totally fine with automotive being the wild west of lack of inspection. Don't need any Australian style rules keeping you from putting a 500 CI big block in a car that originally had a 231!!!

The number one rule in plumbing
-Poop flows downhill!

Number one rule in electrical
-Don't touch the black and white wire at the same time!

View attachment 134627

View attachment 134626

Don't forget, that outlet within 25ft of the AC unit has to be a 20 amp outlet. Here it also has to be tamper resistant and weather resistant.

Apparently poo only flows downhill through approved fittings. Ask me how I know...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Crappy weather. I put a coat of black Rust-O-leum on the insides of the Jeep steelies.
IMG_4922.JPG

Reactions: 11 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Not my work by any means but random video if you like old earthmoving equipment. I guess its from my Wife's home town if that counts.

Army surplus mid 50's IH TD24 dozer was donated to the community college back in the 60's. Local snowmobile club borrowed the dozer in the early 70's it to make some trails through the woods. Along the path they ran into a swamp. Owner of the property next to the swamp told the dozer driver that it was OK to drive on their property and whatever you do, don't drive through the swamp. Dozer operator ignored the instruction and drove through the swamp sinking the dozer to the frame. They tried pulling it out but a TD24 was a huge piece of equipment in the early 70's (56K lbs) and were unable. It was bitterly cold and christmas week so nobody was willing to help and it froze in hard. State governor was going to get the national guard together as a training exercise and pull it out but news traveled fast and someone made a cartoon editorial showing the national guard getting beer as a reward for pulling out an old junk dozer and everyone in the govt got offended and they said forget it.

Someone had the bright idea to make a fertilizer bomb (nitrogen and diesel) and blast the ice out that kept it in sometime after. Well they used too much boom and it blew the ice that was supporting it and it sunk 20 feet down into the swap.

Nobody touched it until last year since everyone thought it was a DNR state dozer and if you recovered it the state would own it. Someone reached out to a lawyer and they said as soon as it sunk it was abandoned and finders keepers. They contacted the land owner, asked if they could keep it if they pulled it out, they said sure, so they pulled the thing out of the swap.

Kinda cool to see how well a dozer that has been in a swamp for 45 years was preserved.

Attachments

• 1580308753807.png
    1580308753807.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
Reactions: 8 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
First coat of Primocon.
IMG_4925_01.JPG

Reactions: 9 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Final paint- Dupli-Color silver wheel paint. Not bad.
IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG

Reactions: 11 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
This seems like a useless photo but it's a big win.

Old garage heater was almost ready to go in the garbage but I decided to have one last crack at diagnosing it. I pulled the regulator off and took it apart and made sure everything was clean and that the thermocouple was triggering the solenoid. It was.

Tried pulling the burner out to clean it up and I couldn't get it out. I grabbed the brass 90 fitting that threads into the burner and it was real loose. Removed fitting and saw a brass 1/8 npt plug sitting in the bottom of the burner. Fished it out and low and behold it was the gas orophice. Put the regulator back in, threaded the orophice in and the damn thing works. Hooray!!! All the issues was because it threaded out. Mixture is in check now and burns clean.

Time to get the oil pan out on the GP

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_172223.jpg
    IMG_20200130_172223.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 105
  • Winner
Reactions: 13 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Done. I took them to my buddies shop and mounted the AT tires on the Jeep steelies. Then a high speed balance. Then put the caps on.
IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4930.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
The Cop Vic beat me up a bit this week.

On occasion I'll ask to "borrow " it from Junior just for a diversion from my wagon. But more importantly it's to give it a once over and make sure that everything is still working as it should. New drivers these days don't always pay attention to what the car is telling them.:blam:

Case in point, I felt like the headlights were a touch dim. Turns out, he had a headlight out. Both high beams were working but only one low beam. So I told him to pay attention to stuff like that. I also picked up a pair of new bulbs and showed him how to install them. No Bueno. The one side still isn't working. Out came the test light and we weren't getting juice to the low beam side of that plug.

So back to the store today for a new plug. We temporarily spliced it in for a test. Still not working. But I was getting a very dim signal with my test light on the low beam hot wire. We unwrapped it as far back as we could and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, so we treated it pretty much like the roadblock it was.

Instead, I decided to run a jumper wire over from the other side low beam to feed the bad side and all is now well. Better yet, I now have a spare plug and two spare bulbs for inventory. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor