What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The way your legislators and Sound Transit handled that is criminal.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Work/grad school research projects.

I got my engineering degree 3.5 years ago, went back to get my masters this fall. I get my masters 'tuition free' but work on a research project that my boss/professor applied for and received. I take 2 classes per semester and spend the rest of my day doing engineering stuff related to the project. I work more and make less than when I worked full time in industry but its a cool way to learn some more advanced skills and not go into metric loads of debt to try and further my career.

If you have ever wondered what all your tax dollars goes for, a very small pie goes to the department of energy and a very small amount of that pie goes to fund grant projects at universities and national labs. A very small amount of that pie then supports a few students to work on projects that professors write proposals for and receive 5% of the time.

Most of those projects are more risky 5-15 years to commercialization type projects that very few companies will fund internally because there isn't a clear path to making money in the short term and in todays world where stockholders or lawyers hold most companies by the balls and nobody does anything risky for fear of being sued or having their stock price pounded into oblivion, nobody takes any big risks. This particular project is in high efficiency fluid power (hydraulics). Other projects are electric to hydraulic pumps, controlling hydraulic systems (excavators mostly), and generally increasing efficiency of off highway equipment.

Overall its a cool way to spend a few years learning and working. Plus I actually get to get back into machining and some light fab work that we don't source out to tool and die shops.

Got to sniff some soldering fumes today
1583295062606.png

Tappy tap tap
1583295106085.png

Test stand's gettin ready
1583295168631.png

Always fun to see a part that you spent so many hours designing actually show up.
1583296732464.png

Reactions: 8 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
..... aaaand on the afternoon commute yesterday, they were talking about feca transplants on the radio. Apparently, a well matched donor's poo in your digestive system can trigger rejections! :wtf:
South Park has an episode for everything, season 23. Episode titled "Turd Burglars".

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Work/grad school research projects.

I got my engineering degree 3.5 years ago, went back to get my masters this fall. I get my masters 'tuition free' but work on a research project that my boss/professor applied for and received. I take 2 classes per semester and spend the rest of my day doing engineering stuff related to the project. I work more and make less than when I worked full time in industry but its a cool way to learn some more advanced skills and not go into metric loads of debt to try and further my career.

If you have ever wondered what all your tax dollars goes for, a very small pie goes to the department of energy and a very small amount of that pie goes to fund grant projects at universities and national labs. A very small amount of that pie then supports a few students to work on projects that professors write proposals for and receive 5% of the time.

Most of those projects are more risky 5-15 years to commercialization type projects that very few companies will fund internally because there isn't a clear path to making money in the short term and in todays world where stockholders or lawyers hold most companies by the balls and nobody does anything risky for fear of being sued or having their stock price pounded into oblivion, nobody takes any big risks. This particular project is in high efficiency fluid power (hydraulics). Other projects are electric to hydraulic pumps, controlling hydraulic systems (excavators mostly), and generally increasing efficiency of off highway equipment.

Overall its a cool way to spend a few years learning and working. Plus I actually get to get back into machining and some light fab work that we don't source out to tool and die shops.

Got to sniff some soldering fumes today
View attachment 138002

Tappy tap tap
View attachment 138003

Test stand's gettin ready
View attachment 138004

Always fun to see a part that you spent so many hours designing actually show up.
View attachment 138006
I like it! Maybe some of what you are doing now will show up in my job in a few years. You mentioned hydraulics and excavators, I am a dump truck driver and heavy equipment mover.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My blower on the Jeep was only working when it felt like it. Then it quit for good. I thought fuse, nope. Relay, can't find one. Then I thought the motor may be bad. Saw how hard it was to get at the motor but while researching I found that the relay was not with the rest. They stuck it up behind the glove box, close to the motor and resistor block. Popped it out and looked at the other relays for a match. Found one and swapped it in and BINGO the blower was blowing. Then I put that relay back and scrounged through my coffee cans of electrical stuff. I found a matching relay in a bunch of crap I saved when yanking a problematic alarm system out. It worked. Blower blows when it should. Cost: $0

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Hooligan85MCSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2020
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My blower on the Jeep was only working when it felt like it. Then it quit for good. I thought fuse, nope. Relay, can't find one. Then I though the motor may be bad. Saw how hard it was to get at the motor but while researching I found that the relay was not with the rest. They stuck it up behind the glove box, close to the motor and resistor block. Popped it out and looked at the other relays for a match. Found one and swapped it in and BINGO the blower was blowing. Then I put that relay back and scrounged through my coffee cans of electrical stuff. I found a matching relay in a bunch of crap I saved when yanking a problematic alarm system out. It worked. Blower blows when it should. Cost: $0

I had the same issue with my Jeep, I think I posted about it and the Just Jeep place in Toronto told me it a 2 week wait for the part to order even though itt's a common part cause of the junk Jeep parts they use, I got it for 2/3's of the price and in 3 days from Rock Auto

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I've had 2 leaking wheels on the Rainer all winter, I just fill them up once a week.

Was 45 today so I took the wheels off that leaked expecting to find a cracked rim since I had to replace one 40k ago.

Turns out neither were cracked they are just leaking between the bead on the inside and outside. Any suggestions on easy fix for that besides paying $20 a tire for a shop to dismount, clean and remount? 2 really need it but the 3rd does too if I'm going to do 2. Tires have like 15k on them and just started leaking late this fall once the salt started going down.

In other news I booger welded the drivers rear upper control arm last fall since it was broke, it was 30 out and I only had 120v in the garage at the time and didn't have a setup to take it off the road and order parts. I intend to change both uppers this spring once I have the wagon out of storage and since I had the passenger rear wheel off to check for leaks I thought I'd see if this arm was shot.

Good news the arm looks way better than the drivers side, bad news is the frame mount is toast. The outside of the bracket is rotten like the drivers side but the frame side in this one is almost missing. You can see the captive nut sitting in the frame with nothing around it.

Gmt360's don't rust like gmt800's but they aren't invincible.

I'm split on if I should plate the rust when I do the control arms this summer or if I just let the arms bust off and harvest the aluminum 5.3 that's in it for a future project.

Knowing me I'll probably just bandsaw some 3/16" plate and fix it this spring and keep driving it. Everything that is as good as a Rainier with less rust is 10 grand at least and to find anything that is an advancement is 15-20k in either a 14+ Yukon/Sierra or a 14+ grand Cherokee.

Buddy of mine bought an 11 avalanche 5.3 from a dealer 2 weeks ago and 6 days after he brought it home it blew a headgasket and hydrolocked. Dealer said it was too expensive to fix and would exchange it for something of equal value on the lot. All they had was 4.7 dodge stuff and 5.4 Ford stuff, both entire garbage. Pretty sure the person that traded that avalanche in blew a head gasket and put in some fix in a can and traded it in. Dealer didn't drive it enough to blow it up so my buddy did.

It just enforced why I won't buy something from a dealer, theres a reason these 120-160k mile gm truck and SUV's get traded in. Either they are rusted trash or the owners know something is going out and they want to dump it fast.

The devil you know!!!
Sometimes if you dismount the tire/rim and then wire brush the bead surface, it cleans up enough to make a good seal.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sometimes if you dismount the tire/rim and then wire brush the bead surface, it cleans up enough to make a good seal.
That is what I do. I get an angle grinder and use a big nasty coarse round wire brush on it. I get it down to bare metal and then I paint the inside with Primocom underwater metals primer. If that is not enough you can then give the bead a good coat of bead sealer neoprene. Never leak again.
1583361195529.png
1583361284179.png

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor