What did you do to your non-G body project today

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
We had rain and wind on Saturday, so I pretty much stayed indoors, but Sunday was mostly dry with a couple of very light showers and a few sun breaks. On my Pinto, I reinstalled the fuel tank (without the sending unit), installed the radiator and fan, put oil in the remote filter and the cooler, then added another 5 quarts to the engine before it began to show on the dipstick. Next, I attached the priming tool to the drill and pumped oil through the system to get the air out of the cooler lines. I was startled when oil shot out of the camshaft about a 4ft stream just inches from my right shoulder, so I stopped at that, then readied a new gasket on the valve cover. That was all the work that I did on the car. I spent some time in the basement on the computer ordering a fuel sending unit, and posting on the Pinto forum.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2940.JPG

DSCN2941.JPG

So last week I was in CTC (Canadian Tire Co, think cdn eqiv of O'Reilly's or Champion) in the nearby mall, waiting on a newby clerk to see if they had a part that I needed, and happened to notice this. Harkening back to several threads that came and went about OBD and the myriad joys and pleasures of dealing with it in its various iterations, I decided that this might be a good reference book to add to the library. Be aware that this text is all about OBD I, 1981 through 1995, which puts its information and application right square on top of the G-bodies.
The close up is to show the part number so that someone interested can visit Amazon or Chapters or ? and score their own copy.

DSCN2942.JPG

DSCN2943.JPG

And these were the objective of my multi-franchise search. You would think that one store would have enough inventory on hand, but no, not even close. Took visits to both the parent franchises to get the basic materials, bends and tube, that I was going to need to replicate that deceased exhaust pipe system whose corpse I showed to all and sundry several pages ago. It turned out that even with what I had managed to acquire, I was short in the bend department and had to call one of the affiliated parts stores that CTC has created locally. They did not have what I wanted but were able to do a search for availablity at other stores in the province and found two of the desired bends down east. A few days later, the phone rang and they were MINE.

DSCN2944.JPG

DSCN2945.JPG

DSCN2946.JPG

DSCN2946.JPG
DSCN2947.JPG

And this is what I made of them. The first picture is the exhaust dump that will poke out from underneath the truck box just before the rear bumper.

The final three are of the pipe section that rises up and over the differential axle tube and then drops back to align with the other pipe assembly already there. Together they move onward to the back and exit as described earlier. Yeah, could have gone straight pipe out the back and under the bumper but there is a tow hitch there that has kind of taken up all the excess real estate, making plumbing in an exhaust pipe something of a moot point. Besides, having both pipes exit side by each tends to baffle folks and that is all to the good, sez I.

The big wait now is for the pipe clamps. I have two of the compression style clamps on their way and the plan is to use them instead of those round rod guillotine versions that tend to crimp the tube and make subsequent dis-assembly a sawzall chore.

The keen eyed will have noticed that anywhere two bends came together on that multiply bent section, there are no obvious seams. Once they had been clocked to each other and to the old pipe in order to create as close a replica as possible, those bends were completely seam welded to each other and then the seams were ground smooth and polished down to offer a clean visual aspect that also makes it difficult for rust and water to find places to lodge in. Of course decay will still happen; just looking to defer that event for as long as possible.

All of which made today a day of rest, or rust, or roost or ???? Did elect to tear down the 5.3 water pump to expose the impeller and see if possible what was causing it to bind in rotation. Nothing obvious. Just a lot of galvanic corrosion due to exposure to the elements and having to deal with both aluminum heads and an iron block at the same time. The cover O-ring was shot. Not sure if a simple O-ring will work or if it has to be a quad ring which is what the old one appears to be. More research. Bother........

Nick

Last edited:

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Got some new shoes

One of my old tires got a pinhole in the sidewall the gradually escalated to a tire that couldn't hold air for more than a few hours. Since the tires were coming towards the end of their lives anyway, just decided to get 4 new ones. I've been wanting some lightweight rims too so figured this was a good time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Ordered from Tirerack, mounted, balanced, and delivered to my door in 2 days. Went with Kojins from Enkei, they're 18"x8" and weigh 20lbs per rim. Tires are Continentals, 235/45R18. My old wheels were the turbines from Tesla, 19"x8.5". Tires were 235/40R19. They weighed 25lbs per rim.

Overall very pleased!

IMG-1268.jpg

On the car...
IMG-1301.jpg IMG-1304.jpg

Compared to the wheels I had before...
78F59342-B92F-4951-B9D5-1C9D39DA7A31.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I sarcastically sent this 91 Regal Custom to my Dad a few days ago and talked to him tonight and he is going to look at it this weekend. Ooops, bad influence I guess.

I have a soft spot for early W body coupes, ESPECIALLY regals. This car is IDENTICAL to one my parents had 30 years ago down to the really low production 2 year only 'maui blue'. 3.1 V6, bench. The only difference is this one doesn't have the cheesy trunk mounted luggage rack. Only 60k miles and it looks to be minimal to low rust.

The paint is oddly peeling on the trunk and roof but it's an easy respray. Engine doesn't run but it's begging for an l67, maybe LS4?

I told my Dad I would spray the roof and trunk if he gets it so I might end up painting a car this fall.....

1632277725226.png

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 18, 2014
We put some miles on one of the v6 mustangs... heres the thing.

It was filled with gas in outside savannah. Then it drove to Virginia vis Charlotte, 534 miles on its first tank of gas. Filled it up nearly on funes, it took better than 15 gallons out of a 16 gallon tank.

Then it drove onwards from there (harrisonburg va) up through PA and into holyoke ma, again, single tank, 509 miles.

So, somehow, it went 1044 miles on two full tanks of gas, 30 and a fraction gallons worth. That's was consistently 10mph over whatever the speed limit was - 70mph zone is 80. 50mph zones in PA meant 60. All running a/c. Grand total of 15hr trip including the one gas pit stop. Works out to a 34.5mpg average up over the mountains and up and down the windy hills.

Not bad for a n/a pony

CopperNick

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
An-nd the S-10 is back to having true duals all the way back to the back. Got the second section hung for good? today, and mated the turnout to it as well. Did end up having to adjust some of the tube angles for better clearance going over the differential and past the shock but that actually made the multiple test fits go in and come out more readily. I do love those compression sleeve or band clamps. They literally wrap the whole pipe and are wide enough to apply compression to the whole muffler out nipple without crushing or squashing it like the old school thread rod clamps are prone to do. Trying to dolly out that crimp in the tube got old decades ago.

Tomorrow, depends. My Model A buddy is doing some bathroom work and needs a second pair of hands for part of it. I need a day off from the joys of having sand, salt and rust, rain down on me as I do battle with the exhaust. I still have to tack the replacement hanger rods back onto the new pipe but that is an inch worm on the floor exercise that will take longer to get the welder into position than it will take to burn them in.

It also begins to look like the driver's side pipe is going to need some attention as well. Not a rust problem but I am reasonably certain that the pipe to muffler connection did not tighten up correctly the last time I visited it which means I will have to revisit that situation and deal with it.

Afte that it is a case of sand down the crap and corruption off the frame rails and sundry other bits go through the whole rust killer and primer exercise, again. Yearly ritual in the land of the semi-frozen chosen.

Nick

G-Body Performance Upgrades

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor