What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Now there is a fun engine. God awful to work on, but fun when they run.
Never again my friend. I loved the styling of the car and how it drove but it was hell to work on. I pulled the back head to fix a dropped valve seat. I replaced all the hoses on it. I replaced the alternator. I replaced the plug wires and put them back absolutely correct. All the fun jobs.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This afternoon put both the truck & Santa Fe up in the air to check brake pads. The truck is still good but figure I'll have the brakes done by Halloween, the Santa Fe will be done within the next month. Checking to see who local has pads for the Santa Fe I find out that dispite it being a popular ride locally no one has any rear pads in stock or even able to get them same day to the next day. WTF? Then I checked the tires & the Santa Fe will be needing a set before the w**t*r rolls in (OE Kumho's on it still).

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Never again my friend. I loved the styling of the car and how it drove but it was hell to work on. I pulled the back head to fix a dropped valve seat. I replaced all the hoses on it. I replaced the alternator. I replaced the plug wires and put them back absolutely correct. All the fun jobs.
Yeah, I feel you there. I had a similar life experience with a Chrysler 2.7. I would like to find who designed that engine and ask them what the hell they were thinking.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Back to debating on one of the projects... I have a pair of GM quarter panels in the packages for the 02 yukon xl. Debating having a shop weld them on each side, but, wondering what a typical labor charge should be to keep them honest.

It's suffering from the fine sand behind the panel issue... oddly, the inner sides are solid, but the outer show signs of rust down low and one blister up high. I *could* patch the low issues and clean then cover the upper blister with the wider suburban style flares instead of the yukon skinnier. But I'm really debating making this a long haul keeper of a vehicle, and thus doing it right.

My motor estimating manual cuts off prior to the gmt800s. Anyone have one on the shelf that's newer and know ballpark hours on a qtr replacement?

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I don't know where to start? It's been so long you guys have missed so much because I've been so busy over the last few months. My GMT 800 rotted/broke in half twice and tried to self delete the trailer hitch twice ended up fabricating frame cross members and putting on a rusty used bed back bumper and hitch. Only to rip it apart again for an auto body whirlwind of thrashing! Rockers cab corners "fixed" the bed sides and a new back bumper hard tonneau cover and paint The afflicted areas lol so last Tuesday I sold it for $6000 and bought a GMT 900 with a diesel and a good frame because I'm tired of welding my daily driver together every couple of weeks.
I went to a used car lot on railroad avenue in Paterson New Jersey by an 02 Duramax crew cab utility body. Unfortunately the frame in that look like termites holding hands. They had 40 diesel trucks on the lot and I was determined to leave with one. So I did.
16278225222607514864700696993575.jpg

My new to me truck is a 2011 GMC Denali HD Duramax diesel loaded. It's tuned deleted lifted new tires new rims and all new fabtech suspension. It's not what I was in the market for but I like it to spite the fact that it has 240,000 MI it drives like a new car it's got a few corks dents scrapes bruises character but overall it doesn't look bad the only leak I found is the power steering cooler and I'm changing that today. Never did I imagine I'd be coming home with a truck that has a sunroof and air conditioned seats. This is quite a step up from the square body crew lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I don't know where to start? It's been so long you guys have missed so much because I've been so busy over the last few months. My GMT 800 rotted/broke in half twice and tried to self delete the trailer hitch twice ended up fabricating frame cross members and putting on a rusty used bed back bumper and hitch. Only to rip it apart again for an auto body whirlwind of thrashing! Rockers cab corners "fixed" the bed sides and a new back bumper hard tonneau cover and paint The afflicted areas lol so last Tuesday I sold it for $6000 and bought a GMT 900 with a diesel and a good frame because I'm tired of welding my daily driver together every couple of weeks.
I went to a used car lot on railroad avenue in Paterson New Jersey by an 02 Duramax crew cab utility body. Unfortunately the frame in that look like termites holding hands. They had 40 diesel trucks on the lot and I was determined to leave with one. So I did.
View attachment 180738
My new to me truck is a 2011 GMC Denali HD Duramax diesel loaded. It's tuned deleted lifted new tires new rims and all new fabtech suspension. It's not what I was in the market for but I like it to spite the fact that it has 240,000 MI it drives like a new car it's got a few corks dance scrapes bruises character but overall it doesn't look bad the only leak I found is the power steering cooler and I'm changing that today. Never did I imagine I'd be coming home with a truck that has a sunroof and air conditioned seats. This is quite a step up from the square body crew lol
Thought you were in hidding & planning a escape to Pa. Nice truck to spoil yourself. So how's the square crew & the Cutlass's coming along?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thought you were in hidding & planning a escape to Pa. Nice truck to spoil yourself. So how's the square crew & the Cutlass's coming along?
The 87 is a roller again the 78 is a runner but I think there's a cam timing issue and bad lifter the square body crew was injured plowing last winter and sits neglected in my driveway still with the plow on and stuck in for wheel drive the Hurst Olds is under Lauren's care now and only receiving love from her but not any real work she has stepped up her car game though she's the parts girl at the body shop I work at until school starts up and did the body work on my GMT 800 cab. Oh and I should be blasting next weekend. I'd love to post the pictures of all that but I'm having phone problems.

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
What I DID (Saturday) get done of my 2.3L Ford motor goals this weekend:
Torqued the intake and exhaust manifolds, replaced the rearmost freeze plug, bolted/torqued the flywheel.
Sprayed PB Blaster on the rear brake line junction block in preparation of replacing the flex hose, and also sprayed the nuts/threads on the fuel tank straps.

What I did NOT get done this weekend:
Did not install clutch disc and pressure plate, because I decided to buy new ones.
Did not replace above mentioned flex hose, or pull fuel tank.
Did not spend any time cleaning the workbench to locate a place to mount the drill press.

What I DID (Sunday) do instead of the things that I didn't do:
Spent most of the day searching the internet for electrical schematics, parts, and reading Pinto forum, El Camino forum, Gbodyforum.com
Bought an oil pump primer from Jegs, and a new water pump, and clutch kit (disc, pressure plate, pilot bushing, and throw out bearing) from RockAuto.
Spent money at Amazon.com too.

Edit: Just bought a NEW power steering pump for the Caballero from RockAuto. I Was reminded to search for one while replying on another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
half assembled t bird door i was working on with a rebuilt, not new, motor. works well. glued window back in. lets see how well that holds.

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
On the hunt for an Omega

Was out in Western SD on vacation and stopped at a resto-shop/junk dealer

74 Omega S that went through a hail storm. The trunk and hood are bad but they are easy replaced. It's a solid dry land car. Quarter is a bit mangled. Roof is hail damaged. Not sure it's got a title.

It's also not a hatch...
1627915225435.png

1627915238671.png

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor