What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Got some new shoes

One of my old tires got a pinhole in the sidewall the gradually escalated to a tire that couldn't hold air for more than a few hours. Since the tires were coming towards the end of their lives anyway, just decided to get 4 new ones. I've been wanting some lightweight rims too so figured this was a good time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Ordered from Tirerack, mounted, balanced, and delivered to my door in 2 days. Went with Kojins from Enkei, they're 18"x8" and weigh 20lbs per rim. Tires are Continentals, 235/45R18. My old wheels were the turbines from Tesla, 19"x8.5". Tires were 235/40R19. They weighed 25lbs per rim.

Overall very pleased!

IMG-1268.jpg

On the car...
IMG-1301.jpg IMG-1304.jpg

Compared to the wheels I had before...
78F59342-B92F-4951-B9D5-1C9D39DA7A31.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I sarcastically sent this 91 Regal Custom to my Dad a few days ago and talked to him tonight and he is going to look at it this weekend. Ooops, bad influence I guess.

I have a soft spot for early W body coupes, ESPECIALLY regals. This car is IDENTICAL to one my parents had 30 years ago down to the really low production 2 year only 'maui blue'. 3.1 V6, bench. The only difference is this one doesn't have the cheesy trunk mounted luggage rack. Only 60k miles and it looks to be minimal to low rust.

The paint is oddly peeling on the trunk and roof but it's an easy respray. Engine doesn't run but it's begging for an l67, maybe LS4?

I told my Dad I would spray the roof and trunk if he gets it so I might end up painting a car this fall.....

1632277725226.png

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
We put some miles on one of the v6 mustangs... heres the thing.

It was filled with gas in outside savannah. Then it drove to Virginia vis Charlotte, 534 miles on its first tank of gas. Filled it up nearly on funes, it took better than 15 gallons out of a 16 gallon tank.

Then it drove onwards from there (harrisonburg va) up through PA and into holyoke ma, again, single tank, 509 miles.

So, somehow, it went 1044 miles on two full tanks of gas, 30 and a fraction gallons worth. That's was consistently 10mph over whatever the speed limit was - 70mph zone is 80. 50mph zones in PA meant 60. All running a/c. Grand total of 15hr trip including the one gas pit stop. Works out to a 34.5mpg average up over the mountains and up and down the windy hills.

Not bad for a n/a pony

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
An-nd the S-10 is back to having true duals all the way back to the back. Got the second section hung for good? today, and mated the turnout to it as well. Did end up having to adjust some of the tube angles for better clearance going over the differential and past the shock but that actually made the multiple test fits go in and come out more readily. I do love those compression sleeve or band clamps. They literally wrap the whole pipe and are wide enough to apply compression to the whole muffler out nipple without crushing or squashing it like the old school thread rod clamps are prone to do. Trying to dolly out that crimp in the tube got old decades ago.

Tomorrow, depends. My Model A buddy is doing some bathroom work and needs a second pair of hands for part of it. I need a day off from the joys of having sand, salt and rust, rain down on me as I do battle with the exhaust. I still have to tack the replacement hanger rods back onto the new pipe but that is an inch worm on the floor exercise that will take longer to get the welder into position than it will take to burn them in.

It also begins to look like the driver's side pipe is going to need some attention as well. Not a rust problem but I am reasonably certain that the pipe to muffler connection did not tighten up correctly the last time I visited it which means I will have to revisit that situation and deal with it.

Afte that it is a case of sand down the crap and corruption off the frame rails and sundry other bits go through the whole rust killer and primer exercise, again. Yearly ritual in the land of the semi-frozen chosen.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
An-nd the S-10 is back to having true duals all the way back to the back. Got the second section hung for good? today, and mated the turnout to it as well. Did end up having to adjust some of the tube angles for better clearance going over the differential and past the shock but that actually made the multiple test fits go in and come out more readily. I do love those compression sleeve or band clamps. They literally wrap the whole pipe and are wide enough to apply compression to the whole muffler out nipple without crushing or squashing it like the old school thread rod clamps are prone to do. Trying to dolly out that crimp in the tube got old decades ago.

Tomorrow, depends. My Model A buddy is doing some bathroom work and needs a second pair of hands for part of it. I need a day off from the joys of having sand, salt and rust, rain down on me as I do battle with the exhaust. I still have to tack the replacement hanger rods back onto the new pipe but that is an inch worm on the floor exercise that will take longer to get the welder into position than it will take to burn them in.

It also begins to look like the driver's side pipe is going to need some attention as well. Not a rust problem but I am reasonably certain that the pipe to muffler connection did not tighten up correctly the last time I visited it which means I will have to revisit that situation and deal with it.

Afte that it is a case of sand down the crap and corruption off the frame rails and sundry other bits go through the whole rust killer and primer exercise, again. Yearly ritual in the land of the semi-frozen chosen.

Nick
With all this S10 talk, we need more pics

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Wondered when someone was going to bring that small matter up. Well, today is a body day, meaning I am taking the day off to let my body and bones heal from all the contortions one has to go through while looking UP at the work at hand. It got so bad I had to retire TWO (2)!! bunny suits and dig a fresh new one out of stock, and it was well on its way to resembling winter camo by the of the day yesterday as it was.

So, uh, yeah, uh, pictures, um, look into that, likely tomorrow, or...........................

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2948.JPG

Just so y'all know what I am referring to every so often, this is my 2003 Chev LS extended cab. Yes the shot is blurry; sometimes so am I.

DSCN2950.JPG

Amazing what a winter of salt water and sand can do to a fresh frame paint job. it will all have to be scraped and reshot; a yearly chore. Having the wheel off makes it easier to get to the grease nipples and check the brake pads.

DSCN2955.JPG

From the point of view of the camera, you are looking forward. What you are seeing are the head pipes, sort of, the cats, the crossover. Remember, all this rust is just one winter of driving.

DSCN2956.JPG

Moving toward the back, the mufflers now become visible. This is a true dual pipe system whose ancestor was in the vehicle when it came into my hands. By way of $$$$$, a stock head pipe c/w cats, is around 1500 cdn.

DSCN2958.JPG

And those duals now appear as they exit their mufflers and head for the rear end. The driver's pipe actually jumps cross country to pair up beside the passenger side because, on the driver's side, the gas tank is right there, and offers no room or way of allowing an exhaust pipe to ease on by. Moverover that tank is not metal, it is heavy poly-plastic of some kind; I do not want heat to get any too close to it.

DSCN2957.JPG

Looking up toward the bottom of the truck box, what is visible is the pair of pipes as they start to make their bends to rise up and over the rear end axle tube.

DSCN2961.JPG

Just a closen up of the two exhaust pipes sitting at the top of their respective arcs and running over top of the rear end. In this shot it is both noticeable and visible that the new pipe has a lot of crimps appearing in its curves. The sections of curved tube that went into this assembly were machine bent in a factory without the benefit of having that internal group of tube bender balls that custom pipe shops use to prevent kinking. The virtue here is that they come in various angled of bend, 45, 90, 30, etc so they can be fitted together both according to need and to get an end product that fits as cleanly and tightly as possible.

DSCN2959.JPG

And, coming back down again to make the run to the rear quarter panel on the passenger's side. This is a busy spot due to the presence of the shock absorber, the rear stabilizer bar, and the spare tire. The pipes have to snake their way past all of these without touching any of them or the rear frame crossmember just above them.

DSCN2960.JPG

And at last they both slip out from under the box side, just ahead of the rear bumper. Sorry, the new pipe is not sitting at an angle. It is the angle of shot that creares that illusion. Viewed from the back or the top, the two pipes run parallel to each other, although the back one is slightly longer; it is the older install and its old partner did match it for profile. I may give it a hair cut, (or not)

And thus ends the tale of the S-10 exhaust rehab. I still have to visit the muffler connection on the driver's side; it may need to have the clamp replaced.

And, of course, the stripping and cleaning and painting of the frame, as much as can be accessed and worked on.................

Nick

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
As the move preparations continue so does vehicle maintenance. Both the TBSS and the Colorado have been making some worn brake noises. I think I should have taken a closer look earlier. :eek:

TBSS front. These were last done in 2016, it really hasn't seen much use (it was broken for 1.5 years, and pretty idle thanks to a pandemic). I am disappoint:

PXL_20210924_210454847.jpg

Colorado rear. These were replaced under warranty just a few years ago, and are dead again. Pretty sure it is a design flaw as the fronts are original and have 90+K miles on them:

PXL_20210924_214912460.jpg

A couple front and rear brake kit sets for each are on their way from Amazon for next week. Both vehicles will need safety inspections in Saskatchewan, and we're driving the Colorado there (and towing), so this is inevitable.

I would have had this diagnosed and fixed already but someone had to break her Z28. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor