What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I guess I'm taking the night off. I got my heads back and put them in the bey with the truck but the wife wanted me to fix a few things around the house tonight because we'll... I haven't done anything around the house in months. Her brother is coming to visit from NC so ok I'll give up one night lol. I've got to go to the store in the morning anyway and get more of that rust primer stuff anyway. So tonight it's sticky doors and things of that nature but tomorrow... Tomorrow it's game on!

Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Went memory hunting found some pictures of my old 442 when I first got it before it was this color the original was tan/ white
359BB7DC-9951-4C7F-A4B7-B517CBE67C25.jpeg
E44F11E2-5446-40D7-8386-317B03F45CC3.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I just ordered more parts. It's come up in conversation several times that lowering the microns of filtration is a very good idea for a diesel truck especially comen rails. Unfortunately the diesel places want a small Fortune for the filter and water separator set ups so I did a bunch of research and bought it in pieces online and it will be here Sunday so I can put it in before the cab goes back on. I figure I can always upgrade the filters so I went with wix for now but next service I'm going 1 micron. Doing it the way I did I got the dual mount the fittings and the filters for $140

Reactions: 6 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You can judge the success of yesterday's tweaking to the ECU by the fact that I had to walk to work today!

Fortunately, it is only about two or so miles from where I live to the yard so it was only a 1/2 hour stroll at a decent pace to get there and at that I left early enough because I had half expected what happened to happen that I arrived about 15 minutes early which is about when I arrive if I am driving. Having the time slack in hand lets me do the pre=run walk around and take care of any other paperwork that the last shift let undone.

Got energetic after work and removed the doghouse components from the dash to get to the motor. Went back into the ECU programmer and reset the AFR ratios to a bit richer for initial start, and leaning out just slightly for each of the individual stages of the warmup. I usually do not attempt to move the van until the temp gauge hits around 100 or so because it has 10-40 in it and I want the oil to warm up and flow easily before heading out to wherever. Also took a pass on the fuel maps, specificaly the DFCC and the Return to see the default or existing response times for both needed to be adjusted to slow down the rate at which the fuel cut off kicks in and then get it to come back in faster in response to the TPS.

Finally, went in to the learning page and reset the entire learning sequence back to active, AGAIN. It seems that when I turn the engine off, the learning toggles default back to "0" which means that the ECU is not taking the input from the various sensors and using it to modify or update the maps. Which may prove to be the most serious problem of all.

At present I have no access to the maps for the fuel delivery and the AFR, to name just two. For that I need a laptop and the patch cord to plug into the programmer to get it to download the maps and data that it has recorded. Acquiring one is on my list of things to do but reality keeps getting in the road.

The only positive in all this is that the IAC readings at idle have risen back to the 4-6 range. It will be what it does when I go for a test drive tomorrow that will tell me if I have moved in the right direction or not.

If not, then I have a serious decision to make; and the AVS II is already sitting in the cargo bay with all the bits and pieces needed to do the swap.

The only reason I hate doing it is that I hate having to call this experiment a failure but, and unlike others who visit this board and run the FI TEch products, I cannot recommend the TBI version that I have. I do see that FI Tech has gone to a complete fuel rail version of the FI system with a dedicated manifold and associated components. Have not seen anything by way of a magazine sponsored test of them. The early TBI units were always touted as being an economical way to shift from a carb to fuel injection but, as most tuners and builders can testify, they come with their own limitations and i may have reached that point with mine.

Unlike the LS systems which offer individual delivery to each cylinder on demand, on the evolutionary scale, the TBI was the first attempt to control fuel delivery in a precise manner. Ask anyone who has experience with the 1st gen TBI's that showed up on the late 80's and 90's Vortecs what they think of the concept. With the FI Tech, the tuning did become more sophisticated but that just added more variables to the mix and meant any adjustment that had to be made could not be done in isolation; change one thing and everything else adjusts automatically to compensate as well. And that, I think, is why I am having so much trouble. Unlike a carb, where you can do adjustments on a case by case basis, With the FI Tech, I cannot. Which puts me on the sharp end of the decision stick with regard to what do i do next.

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
I just ordered more parts. It's come up in conversation several times that lowering the microns of filtration is a very good idea for a diesel truck especially comen rails. Unfortunately the diesel places want a small Fortune for the filter and water separator set ups so I did a bunch of research and bought it in pieces online and it will be here Sunday so I can put it in before the cab goes back on. I figure I can always upgrade the filters so I went with wix for now but next service I'm going 1 micron. Doing it the way I did I got the dual mount the fittings and the filters for $140

12 Valve goes glug glug glug...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Wasn’t it also for filling the gas tank static too?

Yeah, that could easily have been another reason for them. When cars starting having the filler neck at the back, instead of on the side there could have been some concern that static discharge during the fill up could ignite fumes emanating from the filler neck. Can't say for sure one way or the other; too long ago and way long before it got to the point where cars became interesting.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
My other thing for the day was sending out some HotWheels and Matchbox diecast to a friend. In with the tote of cars and trucks found a few jewels. Monte SS,Buick Regal, and a Oldsmobile concept, and a ElCamino SS with trailer.
D225D643-E2E2-448E-B7C9-0DBBDA792705.jpeg
B2A588AF-0F0B-4BDA-BCC2-8E5D7A273AF5.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

So what you're saying is you need to sell some homebrew kits for a profit, but still substantially less than the places charge. Then spend the money on yourself. And 'relocate' your corporate headquarters to a more tax friendly state

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor