What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I brought my filters and bracket to work today. My new transmission dipstick tube came from GM today too. I guess I'll get some more done tonight. I don't think I'm going to stay as late tonight because I'm dragging today.

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Actually this sort of started yesterday and overlapped into today but anyway...................

DSCN3355.JPG

DSCN3356.JPG

DSCN3354.JPG

So along the path to installing the Edelbrock AVs 1906 that I had mentioned I was considering for the fall................ I ran into one smal technical difficultly. While the existing cable bracket allowed the throttle cable to line up exactly as needed. the same could not be said for the TV cable. It's mounting tab was almost an inch out of alignment with the actuator lever for the cable and a quick test fit showed me that there was too much offset for the cable to come and go smoothly. The physical distance between the tab and the pivot pin was okay, just that the tab had to move sideways....or did it???

DSCN3361.JPG

DSCN3359.JPG

DSCN3357.JPG

What I chose to do was harvest a tab from another cable mounting bracket that had already been modified for another carb that now has a place of honour on the bench. I used my trusty Dremel tool with a thin cut off wheel to carefully excise the candidate, shape and trim it for fit, and tacked it into position and did a test fit. Liked what I had and finished the passes on both sides. You can see some of the welds in the process of being ground and sanded down. The back side will obviously not look so pretty; who sees it? Just had to be careful not to thin out the metal too much, the seam/joint between the two tabs is very narrow and trying to fix an overgrind could easily damage the partition wall between the two mounts.

The close up in pic four, just shows the final relationship between the two holes. The one on the angle is the original; the one beside it is the newby.

DSCN3362.JPG

DSCN3363.JPG

And finally, a couple of shots of the installation. Edelbrock does happen to make a couple of variants of cable mounting brackets that appear on their website and parts sheet as accessories. I have two of them on order just to see how close i got. What may have to happen is that the pair of mounting tabs will get a little bit of upward bend, just to sweeten the alignment just a little. As of now, the cable is in line with its pivot. i also moved the return spring bracket to the position shown above and still have to install the return springs. Did like the FI TECH for that much, it had integral return springs mounted to the throttle shaft and did not require external ones.

I still have to reset the TV cable, either one or two clicks on the adjusting sleeve to add a little tension to the cable, not much. Then I can make a test run and see if more clicks need to be added. Also have to attach the power wire for the electric choke. That is going to take some getting used to. The Monte used to run a Holley Spread Bore, still does for that matter, that had an electric choke. Just have to keep my foot off the wah-wah pedal during starts and let the key do the work.

Did also manage to score the tube I need to rebuild the damaged head pipe on the S-10. Damaged?? Should rather say destroyed. The O2 bung was about half way to trying to get lost. Would not have gotten too far unless the wiring harness for the sensor tore away. Just a monumental PITA to recreate.

On a brighter note, a buddy of mine came past the house on Sunday and between us, me doing the bleeding and him on the pedal, I had front brakes again in about 15-20 minutes. Glad to have that over. I sweat brake jobs when replacing lines has to happen because getting that double flare nice a square and uniform all the way around the perimeter is a stone b*tch some times and using Ni-Copp instead of softer tube steel didn't help matters any.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well I got home at 10:00 again. So much for an early night. There's so much on the top of these motors it's very difficult to get the assembly process right when you've never done it before. I've been deeper in cars and trucks before but never something this intricate. It literally reminds me of a BMW or Mercedes. So my process is I'm kinda mocking it up and only tightening things I know I absolutely won't need to remove to install something else. I did hit a few snags tonight I've been so worried about getting the fuel system right that I forgot to put on the coolant line for the turbo. Fortunately leaving things loose I was able to pull back out a few loose bolts and sneak it in. It's the line bolted to the bottom of the turbo and the top of the passenger intake manifold in this picture
27577.jpeg

And the other end is under the back side of the turbo in this picture
27578.jpeg

And of course that's a banjo fitting and the bolt had to go in with gasket where you see it.not fun with big hands.lol. another snag was I somehow mixed up the lower valve covers. Not that big of deal they are the same but there studs and bolts for accessories that ended up on the wrong side and made assembly confusing. But the only snag that got under my skin was that I ordered the wrong filters! Oh and forgot to order barbed hose fittings. The new dipstick tube fits perfectly and definitely answers some questions I had about where it was supposed to go. The old one was bent and the mount bracket was broken off. And now that's solid.
27581.jpeg
27580.jpeg

I think I did fairly well figuring it out until I got to what I've affectionately named the fighting heard of octopus!
27582.jpeg

That tangled mess is the main feed and return fuel lines and way over complicated. All good though I'll figure it all out tomorrow night. My parts pile is getting a lot smaller and that makes me happy. I'm hoping I can put the cab back on before the weekend but only time will tell

Reactions: 6 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Well I got home at 10:00 again. So much for an early night. There's so much on the top of these motors it's very difficult to get the assembly process right when you've never done it before. I've been deeper in cars and trucks before but never something this intricate. It literally reminds me of a BMW or Mercedes. So my process is I'm kinda mocking it up and only tightening things I know I absolutely won't need to remove to install something else. I did hit a few snags tonight I've been so worried about getting the fuel system right that I forgot to put on the coolant line for the turbo. Fortunately leaving things loose I was able to pull back out a few loose bolts and sneak it in. It's the line bolted to the bottom of the turbo and the top of the passenger intake manifold in this picture View attachment 204288
And the other end is under the back side of the turbo in this picture View attachment 204289
And of course that's a banjo fitting and the bolt had to go in with gasket where you see it.not fun with big hands.lol. another snag was I somehow mixed up the lower valve covers. Not that big of deal they are the same but there studs and bolts for accessories that ended up on the wrong side and made assembly confusing. But the only snag that got under my skin was that I ordered the wrong filters! Oh and forgot to order barbed hose fittings. The new dipstick tube fits perfectly and definitely answers some questions I had about where it was supposed to go. The old one was bent and the mount bracket was broken off. And now that's solid. View attachment 204290 View attachment 204291
I think I did fairly well figuring it out until I got to what I've affectionately named the fighting heard of octopus! View attachment 204292
That tangled mess is the main feed and return fuel lines and way over complicated. All good though I'll figure it all out tomorrow night. My parts pile is getting a lot smaller and that makes me happy. I'm hoping I can put the cab back on before the weekend but only time will tell
That’s because an engineer didn’t have to work on it , it just looked good on the computer and fit the space.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
They don’t have to work on it after though! Like when ford put the 429 SCJ in the Mustangs, it fit, but they didn’t have to pull the motor to change the plugs so it was all good!

IIRC, weren't the shock towers cleared at the factory with a sledgehammer for the big block cars?

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
What a f'in mess. I think it'd be more telling to take a before and after of the parts pile. How much more you think before the body goes back on?
I don't really know I'm just going to keep going until there's nothing left on or under the table.
That’s because an engineer didn’t have to work on it , it just looked good on the computer and fit the space.
100% correct and it all weaves and intertwines that's why I'm leaving everything loose until I have it all laid out correctly.
Well, somebody made it fit in the space.
Yes and so will I. I'm sure if I ever have to do another one or work on this one again I'll have a much better understanding of what's going on.
They don’t have to work on it after though! Like when ford put the 429 SCJ in the Mustangs, it fit, but they didn’t have to pull the motor to change the plugs so it was all good!
Exactly or plugs in a V8 Chevy Monza
IIRC, weren't the shock towers cleared at the factory with a sledgehammer for the big block cars?
I thought I remembered something about them having different aprons but I could be wrong im not much of a Ford mustang guy.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor