What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There is unfortunately not a planet where fixing the Rainier makes sense

Frame is rotten, doors are floppy and rotten, quarters that were patched are starting to poke through again, seats are starting to wear out, the key randomly gets stuck in the ignition. It's a shitbox...

1669829462885.png

1669829860334.png

1669829507211.png

1669829676028.png

1669829688270.png

1669830164913.png

It's kinda fixed but still. The doors are shot, the frame is shot, the seats are worn out, the doors are floppy.

1669830183295.png

1669829573441.png

I bought it with 175K miles salvaged, got 110k out of it, and it still runs great.

If I want another GMT360 I am buying a $6000 under 100k mile southern one.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Over a Quarter Million Miles?? Gotta say in all fairness that it doesn't owe you another inch of movement. That ride done paid its dues.

Minor update on the Evap Canister front. So the first bracket that I mutated together is still sitting on the drill press deck. Went back out to the shop and took a third look at the other candidate and then proceeded to hacksaw the clamping band away from its frame and clean off the remaining tab stumps. RE-re-re-revisited the factory mounting locations for the OEM bracket and concluded that a piece of !" flat strap would slide into the slot cut into the rad cradle. Fast phone to Napa and a 3' length is coming in for tomorrow. I can shape a 12" section of it around the C-15 tank on my Mig rig and get the curve I need to fit it into the concave depression in the cradle that is part of what is there to locate and support the evap tank. After that just a few tacks to attach the band to the strap and a hole or two to secure it and I am, I think, in business here.

The first bracket would have worked as it was but did project further out into the engine bay. What I have now tucks in tighter and takes less space.

Nick

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yesterday, early afternoon, I'm on the couch watching YouTube on the TV. Working on watching my eyelids. We had plans to go out for lunch as a family so I was killing time waiting for that. Suddenly, my sister-in-law comes in and says "there's something wrong with my car." Great.

It's a 2020 Buick Enclave. I think it's the fourth Enclave she's had since 2011. My brother and her have been leasing them since then. Until a year or two ago, my niece was very active in ballet and acting/modeling. She and her mom did a lot of running the roads. Sean and I were building the Camaro and helping Dad with the Galaxie. He wanted his ladies in something fairly new and reliable. He also wanted us to not have to work on it. The lease for the 2020 ended last month. They went ahead and bought it. It was the best financial decision given the current circumstances.

I had hernia repair surgery on the Friday before Thanksgiving so I haven't been doing much lately. I'm pretty much back to normal but I'm not supposed to do anything too strenuous for another month or so. So I get off my backside and go out to the garage. I quickly determine the three year old Delco Freedom AGM has given up the ghost. Big deal right? It needs a battery. Well, fortunately and unfortunately it broke down in the garage. Fortunate in that she wasn't stranded and we didn't have to deal with it somewhere else, unfortunate that it is dead, parked in front of all of the tools....

20221204_114308.jpg

It's a tight fit in the garage with the workbench.....

20221204_114353.jpg

It has an electric emergency brake. It has an electronic shifter. It won't come out of gear. It won't roll. I'm getting grumpy. I go change clothes. In retrospect I could have put the jump box on it and rolled it back some but I didn't want it dead, half in and half out of the garage (can't roll garage door down) and there was a chance for rain so we left it where it was. This was also the first time I dealt with this irritating stupidity on top of the battery.....

20221204_114429.jpg

We got it, obviously, and it wasn't that big of deal but these modern helpless cars are ridiculous. We had the typical need it today auto parts experience getting a replacement battery. I got online and O'Reilly couldn't do it until Tuesday. Amazon couldn't do it until Tuesday. This made me think, ok, Napa warehouse. It's about 10 miles but it's the best chance. They show to have one. We go down there. They don't. The knuckle head that waits on us tells us the store right by our house has 6 in stock. We go there, not believing it. They don't have any and the counterman can't imagine why the warehouse told us that. We go back home. I get back online. It turns out AutoZone shows to have one and they do. It was actually a decent experience too. My preference would have been a Super Start Platinum AGM from O'Reilly or a Deka Intimidator from Amazon but it got a Duralast Platinum. We haven't had good luck with the Duralast AGM's so we'll see how this one does.

I can tell I'm really going to enjoy maintaining this car. It's the best thing for the family financially so I'll do it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yup you would think some of that crap would have a mechanical over ride, which I've never looked into it but you never know. My C5Z06 has an electromagnetic lock on the steering column, it locked up one day in the garage. Had to take the plastics off the column and smack the solenoid with a hammer. Turned it off in the tune and hasn't had a problem since. Low voltage seems to be the culprit, which Corvettes are notorious for killing batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yup you would think some of that crap would have a mechanical over ride, which I've never looked into it but you never know. My C5Z06 has an electromagnetic lock on the steeting column, it locked up one day in the garage. Had to take the plastics off the column and smack the solenoid with a hammer. Turned it off in the tune and hasn't had a problem since. Low voltage seems to be the culprit, which Corvettes are notorious for killing batteries.

I installed the LMC5 then killed everything in the tune. I've thought about physically removing the bits from the column too. Funny they went through the pain of an electrical column lock on the C5 and just didn't put one in the GMT360 (Trailblazer etc) platform at all.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If mine ever gives me a problem again I'll drill a 1/2" hole in that lower plastic on the column right where the solenoid is so I can get a 3/8" extension in there and give it a little tappy tap

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If mine ever gives me a problem again I'll drill a 1/2" hole in that lower plastic on the column right where the solenoid is so I can get a 3/8" extension in there and give it a little tappy tap

Anything stopping a guy from just yanking that solenoid?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Anything stopping a guy from just yanking that solenoid?
Never looked into that aspect, since we can and have turned it off in the tune you would think that would bypass anything security related. Never read about anyone completely removing it, if I remeber right applied voltage dis-engages the lock, so have to physically make sure the lock will never re-engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor