What did you do to your shop today?

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Up until recently that wood probably cost more than the pour. Looking good. Are you planning for a future lift installation?
I am. currently have a scissor lift, but want a two post. Will be documenting the actual position of the pex lines as much as I can before the pour. But also, the slab is 6" thick and those pex lines will be at the bottom. With the typical 4" or so minimum embedment of the wedge anchors, risk of hitting a line will be minimized. I'm not 100% sure where exactly I'm going to put it so wasn't too keen on leaving a clear area

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am. currently have a scissor lift, but want a two post. Will be documenting the actual position of the pex lines as much as I can before the pour. But also, the slab is 6" thick and those pex lines will be at the bottom. With the typical 4" or so minimum embedment of the wedge anchors, risk of hitting a line will be minimized. I'm not 100% sure where exactly I'm going to put it so wasn't too keen on leaving a clear area

Take some accurate measurements. Our lines are very high and easy to find with the FLIR. I might have a lightly used bottom plate 2-post for sale in a week. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
heyyyy Remember meee??? :)

Greetings from Iceland

Remember my workshop? yea I sold it and moved out of it at the end of last month. I bought a house outside of the city with a huge lot and two story 1100sq ft garage, my workshop was around 1500sq ft so it's not bad for a home garage!

some pics.. I dont have any chevy now unfortunately :) I am looking to purchase a CJ 5 jeep for restoration, hopefully it won't be as bad as my monte carlo was...

yKmHEji5_o.jpg

My old workshop, emptied.. ready for the new owner and all his projects

ya6G9pHh_o.jpg

My new garage, I have my work cut out for me in here... yikes

JDzUiPV8_o.jpg

the house is nice too, you know.. but the garage is what we're here about right :D

Fga93j7c_o.jpg
Ftkqc3N4_o.jpg
LUXPaL3U_o.jpg
vsY9qw7w_o.jpg

Had to take the truck camper out for a vacation to chill out and let the epoxy paint dry

zIAiBwCq_o.jpg

The floors I used self levelling concrete to get a smooth surface, epoxy on the floor and about 5" up the side of all walls, I have made some plans to build custom interior for the walls for work station and storage in the garage, there is a pit hole in the floor and a manhole in the back, but the lower floor is also accessible from the backyard outside

233673146_10161325081017907_5517010422989168689_n.jpg

I sketched the lot up and made plans to build this deck in the back yard, maybe next spring.. !

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

Greetings from Iceland

Remember my workshop? yea I sold it and moved out of it at the end of last month. I bought a house outside of the city with a huge lot and two story 1100sq ft garage, my workshop was around 1500sq ft so it's not bad for a home garage!

some pics.. I dont have any chevy now unfortunately :) I am looking to purchase a CJ 5 jeep for restoration, hopefully it won't be as bad as my monte carlo was...

View attachment 183712

View attachment 183711

View attachment 183708

the house is nice too, you know.. but the garage is what we're here about right :D

View attachment 183706 View attachment 183707 View attachment 183709 View attachment 183710

Had to take the truck camper out for a vacation to chill out and let the epoxy paint dry

View attachment 183713

The floors I used self levelling concrete to get a smooth surface, epoxy on the floor and about 5" up the side of all walls, I have made some plans to build custom interior for the walls for work station and storage in the garage, there is a pit hole in the floor and a manhole in the back, but the lower floor is also accessible from the backyard outside

View attachment 183705
I sketched the lot up and made plans to build this deck in the back yard, maybe next spring.. !
Congrats, looks like you are gonna have a really nice setup

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Ive gone forward with some of my plans for the interior of the garage, I've built a steel frame table, hung some gloss white cabinets for items which I'd rather not become very dusty, added an ikea kitchen cabinet for an industrial sink and computer desk

I will later skin the steel frame table with 4mm aluminum plate on the top and up on the walls about 8 inches, and I might add aluminum siding to function as doors to the lower portion of the steel frame table, so as to keep dirt out as I will store tools under there

I plan to make a steel frame hatch to close and seal off the pit hole and the manhole in the floor, the man hole will be assisted by pressurised gas rams for easy access and the other one will have handles which will be flush when not being pulled on

overview photo of the progress as it currently stands, I also added a bunch of LED lights to the ceiling so its bright and nice
image_2021-09-15_112529.png

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Cleaned it up and turned all the lights on for another showing. I want to put up a sign that says: Don't touch my sh*t!

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory

Greetings from Iceland

View attachment 183712

View attachment 183711

View attachment 183708

View attachment 183706 View attachment 183707 View attachment 183709 View attachment 183710

View attachment 183713

View attachment 183705
It's not surprising how much Iceland looks like northern Alberta. Beautiful setup you have now.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I got a foundation yesterday. Big milestone for building this thing. Really happy to finally get this part completed given that I was originally hoping to have the foundation in mid-July.

Contractor was here at 6 am yesterday morning just to finalize the forming and anchor rod placement. Boom pump truck was there shortly after 7am
20210914_073328.jpg

First of 5 concrete truck showed up shortly after
20210914_074029 (Large).jpg

Starting to pour
20210914_080126 (Large).jpg

Most of the perimeter footings done
20210914_083240 (Large).jpg

Starting to screed and level
20210914_092000 (Large).jpg

Mostly poured at this point. Partial screeded and floated
20210914_102756 (Large).jpg

20210914_102814 (Large).jpg

Power troweling
20210914_152016 (Large).jpg

Looks pretty level to my eye
20210914_165054 (Large).jpg

We had a pretty good thunderstorm run through last night. Rain came late enough that the salb had enough time to dry, it shouldn't be an issue. Slab was wet this am and there's some pooling, but all the puddles are <1/8" deep.

20210915_081200 (Large).jpg

Still a fair bit of work needs to be done. Strip the forms, cut and fill the control joints. The need to put 3" rigid insulation vertically around the perimeter and horizontally 4' out from the bottom of the foundation and then back fill.

This weekend will be a bit early to start erection of the metal building itself but the following weekend is likely when I'll be able to really get started on the erection of the building

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
I got a foundation yesterday. Big milestone for building this thing. Really happy to finally get this part completed given that I was originally hoping to have the foundation in mid-July.

Contractor was here at 6 am yesterday morning just to finalize the forming and anchor rod placement. Boom pump truck was there shortly after 7am

First of 5 concrete truck showed up shortly after

Power troweling

Looks pretty level to my eye

We had a pretty good thunderstorm run through last night. Rain came late enough that the salb had enough time to dry, it shouldn't be an issue. Slab was wet this am and there's some pooling, but all the puddles are <1/8" deep.

Still a fair bit of work needs to be done. Strip the forms, cut and fill the control joints. The need to put 3" rigid insulation vertically around the perimeter and horizontally 4' out from the bottom of the foundation and then back fill.

This weekend will be a bit early to start erection of the metal building itself but the following weekend is likely when I'll be able to really get started on the erection of the building

That looks great! Thats the first milestones of many, but in my opinion it's the most stressful of all the milestones to follow! Keep us updated on your progress, things move quickly after this part usually.....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor