What did you do to your shop today?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Just about anywhere really. Amazon, Home Dopey, probably Lowes and likely Harbour Fright. I’m in Canada, so I got mine locally from one of the tool stores around here.
I didn't even know they made them! was trying to figure out how to mount my full-height drill press on a rolling base where it would be stable.

searching on Google and finding them already. thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I took several steps backwards today... well depending on your way of thinking.

As you may recall, I'd ordered an ICON 73" chest back on the 4th of July weekend sale.

Well, the first arrived in the store 10 days later. Yes, we got runaround for weeks until it finally showed up with a dent in the back on August 9th. Apparently maybe the 16 mile delivery was too much for them.

Luckily we recorded the whole delivery showing rough handling off the truck, and a smashed pallet. After much back and forth, they agreed to send a replacement promising it would arrive delivered to my house within 5-10 business days.

I can't say what happened, or why, as no explanation was ever give. But a few weeks later I checked in with my contact about the delivery status and I was led to believe no replacement ever went out. So, they still didn't want to give a refund at that point and said the new unit was on the way. Problem is, it too languished at the store for so long the manager and supervisors would remind me the tool chest was still in the stockroom if we stopped in the store... my answer was, home delivery is part of the price, call your office and put the screws to them about it sitting there and see if they can get some leverage to move it forward.

Fast forward to last Thursday and it was delivered... even more hammered than the time before. Tried reaching out to the harbor freight contact via text 10 minutes after the delivery drivers left, to someone who had exchanged numerous texts not 15 minutes prior and it was still hours before end of business. No reply. Called and left voice-mails 5 minutes later. No response. Sent emails to the various people I worked with the first time containing explanation, pics of damage, screencaps of video of second delivery showing damaged box on the liftgate, and a link to the video itself.

NOT ONE HARBOR FREIGHT REP RESPONDED. No returned text. No returned call. No returned emails. Not even through 24 hrs later.

So, I went through the product ordering line and demanded to be shifted to a supervisor. First time I was told I was being transferred and they refused to pick up the phone, after a long time of it ringing they disconnected without even a voice-mail. Tried again. And that time got through to someone. Told them come get it that day, or, I needed a release from responsibility/damages to shove it outside since the drivers wouldn't wait for us to inspect it and didn't even take a signature. I said I considered it abandoned and I wouldn't store it. They asked me to wait 2 hrs while they looked for transport, and, if they couldn't then they would send me the authorization to leave it in the driveway with a full release of liability/responsibility. At 4:57pm, sure enough, I did get the OK to shove it outside. So, a refund is on the way.

My review of the various ICON products: customer service SUCKS. They are heavy built at over 950# on a 73" unit, but not heavy enough to keep damage free getting hammered before delivery. Quality is so-so. The paint had some runs, the drawers worked smooth, the drawer liners took damage/heavy indents just from the delivery power cords inside resting on them without being used. Can't speak to how well the power charging drawers worked since we never used one. Fit and finish of the liners was poor, they were cling type and no care was taken aligning them to fit flush on the bottoms.

My opinion? Delivery sucked, and not due to port delays. Product was quick from warehouse to store then.... stopped. A nearly 4 month fiasco with multiple failed deliveries. I understand it's not a $7000 snap-on unit, but it's also not a $400 craftsman or husky. I expected better, from the poor attention to assembly details to the paint runs, and, their spot welds tended to create creases/dents into the metal that somehow even the cheap thin gauge manufacturers seem to avoid. So for the price, I'd probably just as soon buy used snap-on or equivalent. And at least your customer service wouldn't SUCK. We weren't kept informed of delivery stages at any point along the way.

But, when their junk is sitting in my driveway I got a phone call the next day arranging a pickup to bring it back to the store, coming tomorrow morning. Amazing how the priorities change.

On a side/related note, we also went out and canceled my gantry crane order. It was over 3 months from when I did a pre-order paid in full and never got a call. Meanwhile, local northern tool has had them in and out of stock half a dozen times, currently with 5 of the 2000# units on hand. So, maybe we'll go get one there, or maybe I'll order a jegs one.

• Angry
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Finally got my Summit Racing back order today.

EC192FD6-C5EF-451D-A3B8-332A0A1EBB8A.jpeg

Been waiting on these since I started cleaning the shop, Chyna’s finest chrome plated tin furniture for the Skunkworks. The old ones were 20 years old and pretty hammered. Time for new ones.

With flames, because hot rod shop.

BE1CBD6F-4652-45BF-BAF0-ED755644418A.jpeg

06E2D749-263F-420A-9833-187CCF3B02F8.jpeg

CC7F2CE2-100C-480C-A3D9-BD9D7BA64611.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Barrel dolly.
Lessee, no locking cantilever casters, no anti-slip rubber feet, would be unstable to use the bender on it, and ugly AF with that big stupid handle in the way. Nah, I’m good.

Y’know, you don’t live in OnScario anymore, you can stop telling the rest of the world how things ought to be now…
😉😆

I want these in my new kitchen!

Classy. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
DiBarrel dolly.
Lessee, no locking cantilever casters, no anti-slip rubber feet, would be unstable to use the bender on it, and ugly AF with that big stupid handle in the way. Nah, I’m good.

Y’know, you don’t live in OnScario anymore, you can stop telling the rest of the world how things ought to be now…
😉😆

Classy. 😆

aubrey plaza 90s GIF

:p

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor