What did you do to your shop today?

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
got the rest of the LED’s wired in. The picture doesn’t do it justice just how bright it is in here. Can’t wait to check it out tonight

IMG_4616.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, query.

For those who have gone with a steel building, here's my considerations, and, a question:

Heating inefficiency is no concern. Yes, we get frost a dozen or so days a year. Yes, I've even had some snow. But generally winter lows are in the 40s, so, that doesn't worry me.

Cooling efficiency: this concerns me. Being a steel structure I'm contemplating a white roof to help reduce heat, as much as possible anyways.

The buildings I've rented all had woven batts of insulation suspended up top. While the convenience would be nice to just have it included in the installation process and.not mess with it, they REALLY upcharge you to get it.

I also know my limitations when it comes to 'finishing work' right now. I'm wondering how hard it would be to do 'spray foam' on the underside, how taxing it was for those of you who did it, how close to the surface to be sprayed you need to be, and, how well it worked from an insulation standpoint. I know maneuvering insulation batts in the air right now isn't in the cards.

I'm leaning towards a 14ft height. I figure that would let me have a standard 8 ft ceiling around the perimeter downstairs, and leave the center open to above for a future lift, maybe 2. Either that, or, have one side open and one side lofted. Thay decision doesnt need to be finalized for the first step of construction at any rate. But by putting 2 to 3 foot deep shelving against the wall in the loft, and accounting for the pitch of the roof, I figure the headroom will be more than 6 ft in the part you stand up in, which makes the downgrade to 14 ft seem fine?

So, I'm wondering among those of you who have steel buildings, what your height is and how bad your summer heat issue becomes, especially upstairs, and what you had for insulation. If I can keep the loft down to 80* or so, I'd be happy with it for storage purposes. I just don't want it hitting 100* or more and winding up with issues with the stored materials and property.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
So, query.

For those who have gone with a steel building, here's my considerations, and, a question:

Heating inefficiency is no concern. Yes, we get frost a dozen or so days a year. Yes, I've even had some snow. But generally winter lows are in the 40s, so, that doesn't worry me.

Cooling efficiency: this concerns me. Being a steel structure I'm contemplating a white roof to help reduce heat, as much as possible anyways.

The buildings I've rented all had woven batts of insulation suspended up top. While the convenience would be nice to just have it included in the installation process and.not mess with it, they REALLY upcharge you to get it.

I also know my limitations when it comes to 'finishing work' right now. I'm wondering how hard it would be to do 'spray foam' on the underside, how taxing it was for those of you who did it, how close to the surface to be sprayed you need to be, and, how well it worked from an insulation standpoint. I know maneuvering insulation batts in the air right now isn't in the cards.

I'm leaning towards a 14ft height. I figure that would let me have a standard 8 ft ceiling around the perimeter downstairs, and leave the center open to above for a future lift, maybe 2. Either that, or, have one side open and one side lofted. Thay decision doesnt need to be finalized for the first step of construction at any rate. But by putting 2 to 3 foot deep shelving against the wall in the loft, and accounting for the pitch of the roof, I figure the headroom will be more than 6 ft in the part you stand up in, which makes the downgrade to 14 ft seem fine?

So, I'm wondering among those of you who have steel buildings, what your height is and how bad your summer heat issue becomes, especially upstairs, and what you had for insulation. If I can keep the loft down to 80* or so, I'd be happy with it for storage purposes. I just don't want it hitting 100* or more and winding up with issues with the stored materials and property.

I have a steel building. The R19 faced insulation is layed over the frame and then the exterior metal panels are put up. Down side of spray foam in this kind of building is your girts, purlins, columns etc have no thermal break. Where as with the insulation between the exterior panels and the structure, you have a thermal break reducing heat loss. Yes, the insulating properties are reduced because the insulation is compressed, but it's better than a steel on steel situation. I think the extra charge on the insulation was maybe $2500CAD on a 30x40x10. you could try getting the insulation direct rather than through the building supplier. Try Silvercote, they're the ones who supplied the insulation for mine. Even though I bought the insulation through the building supplier it was delivered direct from Silvercote.

We can be between -30 and 100 here. I've got a couple big ceiling fans that do a pretty good job of keeping the air moving and keeping it cooler in there. Roof is galvalume, so kind of like a galvanized steel look.

I have 10 ft walls with a 2/10 pitch, so it's ~ 14 feet in the center. Had JUST enough room for a lift. But certainly not enough room for a loft.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You say steel, my friend has a pole barn with steel skin. Not sure if that counts? I know the structure is different, but the skin soaks up the sun just the same. We'll get 90-100 here in the summer and his shop is all fiberglass batts and it does amazing. That said, it does cool down at night here. His ceiling is either R30 or R49, not sure on the walls but figure R13-15 as the whole place is drywalled. Nothing fancy about it WRT insulation so thermal bridging/breaks were not addressed. It does incredibly well in the summer and it has to be the slab that's keeping it so cool. Maybe a chiller and a cooled slab is the key for you?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Finally after 4 years I'm running power back to it cause it's getting old using extension cords & running out of light. It's just the main line between the house & garage it'll be the kick in the arse I need to get it all finally done.

Reactions: 2 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So now that the elky can move in and out the garage on its own, I realized how trashed my garage is.

Was planning a through cleaning in July or August because I'll have some time off.

Well I couldn't resist the open space.

IMG_20230605_133214241_HDR.jpg

This wall I took down 8' of shelving. It blocked the window and was unorganized with junk. It is now a temporary home for some stuff until it finds another home somewhere else.

The bench in the picture came off the opposite wall. Has old termite damage and was anchored to the wall. I didn't like it, and have a better idea for the space it creates.

IMG_20230605_133226507.jpg

The peg board on the wall still needs to come down and re-arrange more stuff. But I brought something home that can take advantage of the space.

IMG_20230605_145331274.jpg

This thing is will finally allow me to organize my tools. They are on close out and didn't want to risk them not having them later.

melloelky and bruisedbanana79 will probably love this thing. It was the cheapest color and my local store had both in stock. And I don't really care what color it is.

Reactions: 4 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
So now that the elky can move in and out the garage on its own, I realized how trashed my garage is.

Was planning a through cleaning in July or August because I'll have some time off.

Well I couldn't resist the open space.

View attachment 222024

This wall I took down 8' of shelving. It blocked the window and was unorganized with junk. It is now a temporary home for some stuff until it finds another home somewhere else.

The bench in the picture came off the opposite wall. Has old termite damage and was anchored to the wall. I didn't like it, and have a better idea for the space it creates.

View attachment 222026

The peg board on the wall still needs to come down and re-arrange more stuff. But I brought something home that can take advantage of the space.

View attachment 222030

This thing is will finally allow me to organize my tools. They are on close out and didn't want to risk them not having them later.

melloelky and bruisedbanana79 will probably love this thing. It was the cheapest color and my local store had both in stock. And I don't really care what color it is.
If you want to donate it to us poor yellow elco guys let me know :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor