What do you hate most about engine swaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
For me it's torque converter bolts, anyone have a better way than spinning the flexplate with a screwdriver tooth by tooth?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Flywheel tool....?
You can grab the flexplate with some vise-grips, but the tool is cheap....

Waiting to have the exhaust ran/hung to be able to do real drive-ability with the freshly installed heart is the part I hate the most.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I hate installing headers and the fact that something will always break. The smallest, last part on your mind, in the hardest to get spot, and no one makes it anymore part that seems to break or come up missing whenever I do an engine swap.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
bigtmoney said:
For me it's torque converter bolts, anyone have a better way than spinning the flexplate with a screwdriver tooth by tooth?

Socket on the crank bolt and turn it from there.

The thing I hate most about engine swaps is removing/reinstalling all of the stock bracketry.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If I am under the car doing torque converter bolts I use a flywheel turning tool like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-23800/overview/
And I have two tools I use on the crank depending if the balancer is on or not.
This one I use without the balancer and also for degreeing the camshaft because it holds the degree wheel on the end:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4798/overview/
This just bolts to the front of the balancer without a pulley:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66782
I also use an ARP crankshaft bolt that uses a 1/2" drive so I can even turn the engine over manually with all the pulleys on with a racheting breaker bar.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Getting the hood to line up perfectly when it's put back on.

People "helping" by doing stuff in the wrong order when I'm not there was a big issue, but now I have my own garage and can keep these pests away.

Roger.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
"rustyroger quote" Getting the hood to line up perfectly when it's put back on.

Agreed, I put small scrib marks on my hinges to reference where the bolts go and it lines up perfectly everytime now and since they are right on the edge of the washers no one can see them.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yeah I have a crank tool I use when I'm building but nothing to use when it's in the car with the balancer on. I've used the crank bolt a ton of times but almost broke one once and am kind of gunshy since then.

The brackets aslo SUCK, it's funny when the engine is out of the car it seems so big and roomy in the engine bay. Once it's back in there is hardly any room when you bolt everything up.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
for me any kind of custom accessory bracket setup is completely mind numbing and time consuming. I have more time into getting my brackets and accessories lined up and a setup that works properly than time I have into dropping the engine in and wiring it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor