MONTE CARLO What do you think of ford 8.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Long

n00b
Jun 10, 2018
I recently got a Monte for drag racing I am seeing alot of people going with the ford 8.8 any opinions on this

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
8.8 Pro-
Cheap and plentiful from fox bodies
Strong and mostly easy to upgrade (axle splines, posi)
Handles 800hp reliably from what I have seen on mostly stock parts
4 link, only have to weld a few new brackets on like coil springs
Kits sold to bolt them in mostly

8.8 cons for a G body-
4 link arms do NOT line up in the same pattern, have to utilize aftermarket spherical joints which although make it bolt up do not retain the same angles through suspension travel as factory.
Many people (not all) report wheel hop or other issues because of the loss of factory geometry
Ford VS Gm pattern, need to buy either
a) new wheels, 4 lug or 5 lug for later ones
b) new axles, to GM pattern
c) both depending on what you do

Overall pros-It is much cheaper than a 9 inch or S60, easier to find than a 8.5 GN or 442 rear.
Overall cons-Geometry "correction" arms are more of a bandaid than a correct fix and can/do result in suspension issues or wear, wheels/axles means you have to spend $200-$600 to get something that bolts up to match your front wheels or to put GM wheels on the rear

7.5 10 bolts will last forever on a street tire (for the most part), mid 12's sorta reliably with good tires on a track. You are lucky if you beat on it in the 11's and a god if it lasts in the 10's.

you can put 2000hp through one if you have 235 street tires but maybe 400hp if it hooks on a drag radial. (guidelines only, I am not responsible for failures)

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

livingez123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2018
If it's a daily driver, keep the 7.5" and drive like a human ( I know, not the most fun thing to do )
If your going to beat on it and run sticky tires, save your money and put a 9" in it and never look back.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
How much horsepower can the 7.5 take

At the track back in the 90's we could always count on 7.5's to break an axle in the high 12's/low 13's. Upgrade the axles to forged and its good for the low 12's with an auto and a foot brake launch. Forget about a manual trans with a 7.5 with sticky tires.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Mike keep in mind how much a Ford 9" weights. Unsprung weight is Not your friend, on the street or auto X road course. My $.02 cents, Ole' Bob

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
I dont like the geometry the 8.8 has, even with the aftermarket arms. The IC is way the hell out of wack. By the time you buy swap parts and correct a few item/ axles/ wheels etc... there are better options.

Nov 4, 2012
They are very strong axles, much cheaper than a 9", good aftermarket support, and they are pentiful in the junkyards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor