What do you use on your dash??

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Bob,
Where do find Ru-Glyde...and what would you dilute it with?

Jack,
I purchase it through local NAPA auto parts. Last gallon I purchased was about 7 years ago. It dilutes with plain tap water. I use a 20% water 80% Ru-Glyde mix, use the same on tires rather than armor all or other tire dressings. Apply with a sponge or micro fiber cloth, will give a soap like appearance then wipe dry with second cloth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I use nothing, and, I've never had a dash crack in the sun/heat.

To clean I use a swifter duster, it pulls all the dust out of vents, cracks, and doesn't leave any type of chemical coating to cause problems later.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Armor-All tire gel. Lol. Works.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack,
I purchase it through local NAPA auto parts. Last gallon I purchased was about 7 years ago. It dilutes with plain tap water. I use a 20% water 80% Ru-Glyde mix, use the same on tires rather than armor all or other tire dressings. Apply with a sponge or micro fiber cloth, will give a soap like appearance then wipe dry with second cloth.

Thank you for the link, Bob.
I think I probably used this stuff when I was a kid pumping gas at my local Mobil station. I would fix flat tires as well and probably used this stuff to mount tires. From what I can tell, it's a rubber preservative that would also help prolong life in weather stripping and various seals.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I use nothing, and, I've never had a dash crack in the sun/heat.

To clean I use a swifter duster, it pulls all the dust out of vents, cracks, and doesn't leave any type of chemical coating to cause problems later.
Just like GM recommends in nearly all of their "Vehicle Care" pamphlets and owner's manuals, cleaning vinyl with "mild soap and water" is enough to do the job. I don't use anything in my 2010 GMC Sierra either, and the plastic dash cracked anyway. TWICE. Once they fixed it by putting in a new dash under warranty. Then a few years ago it did it again and I bought a dash cover to try and keep the heat off of it. Only one I've ever had crack. Come to find out it was a common problem child for GM because 99.9% of the dash cracks were in the upper rh corner of the passenger air bag where both my cracks occured. There's very little real estate in that area to the front of the dash. Replacement dash at my cost is around $400. 😲 I think I'm going to try epoxy/plastic weld.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor