What do you use to seal glass leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I fixed a bad windshield leak two years ago. I used BoatLife Lifecaulk marine caulk schmeared along the glass edge and channel and it has not leaked a bit. Now I am dealing with another leak but my marine store doesn't carry it anymore. I wondered what you guys used to seal glass leaks without removing and replacing the entire thing. Something I can just run along the edge and it will seal well. Some of the seam sealers I saw on a truck site say they seal glass too. I wonder if they would work.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
20 year clear silicone caulk. So far so good.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Mark, try Permatex 81730 flowable windshield and glass sealant. It is very thin and runny but it worked well on my Dodge truck I tried it as a last resort before having the windshield taken out and re-sealed. It is still holding with no leaks.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

West Marine

12 West 37th Street
New York City, NY
USA
https://www.westmarine.com/stores/new-york-ny-132
212-594-6065

West Marine
5000 Nesconset Hwy
Port Jefferson Station, NY
USA
https://www.westmarine.com/stores/port-jefferson-sta-ny-157
631-331-9280

West Marine​

3955 Long Beach Road
Island Park, NY
USA
https://www.westmarine.com/stores/island-park-ny-80
516-431-0399

And if you happen by the Hamptons...

Hampton Watercraft & Marine​

401 Montauk Highway
Westhampton Beach, NY
USA
https://www.hamptonwatercraft.com/
631-288-2900

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Clone: it says urethane but in the picture it is labeled silicone.[?] 69olds the last time I used West Marine two out of the three tubs were already hard. They don't rotate stock enough and the date code is hidden. They take it back no questions but the only WM stores are pretty far away from me to begin with. My Mom-N-Pop store [Freeport Marine] always had fresh stock on hand. Now they only carry the Teak version in large tubes. The last windshield I did used an entire 10.5 oz tube to do just the top and sides of the glass- not even the bottom. Joesregal I like that stuff- flowable is what I was looking for. The reviews are all good. One guy mentioned that he used the flowable stuff to seal the leaks- then topped it off with regular silicone to fill the rest of gap. Sounds like a plan.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Clone: it says urethane but in the picture it is labeled silicone.[?] 69olds the last time I used West Marine two out of the three tubs were already hard. They don't rotate stock enough and the date code is hidden. They take it back no questions but the only WM stores are pretty far away from me to begin with. My Mom-N-Pop store [Freeport Marine] always had fresh stock on hand. Now they only carry the Teak version in large tubes. The last windshield I did used an entire 10.5 oz tube to do just the top and sides of the glass- not even the bottom. Joesregal I like that stuff- flowable is what I was looking for. The reviews are all good. One guy mentioned that he used the flowable stuff to seal the leaks- then topped it off with regular silicone to fill the rest of gap. Sounds like a plan.
Dang, really have to be carefull of internet listings.

Urethane adhesive would still be the best stuff to seal windshield leaks. Windshields leaks are a sign of a faulty install, the adhesive could be failing and separating from from either the glass or metal resulting in increasing leaks. Other issue could be the winshield frame has developed rust pinholes allowing leaks.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I checked for rust- none. It looks like the seal where the glass is glued to the channel. I did the 'blow-hard' test. You take some soapy water and squirt it all along the seal. Then get inside with a shop-vac on 'blow' and point it at the glass. The leaks are revealed as lots of bubbles appear. I counted at least a dozen leaky spots mostly along the top.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The soapy water test is quite effective which is how I found my header leaks. Another possible issue is that the installer simply didn't spread enough adhesive evenly and left gaps. Pretty common issue with replacement windshields. You can either buy a chaulk tube of urethane sealant or get a sausage foil pack which can be reclosed. You can just cut it and use a stick to manually apply the urethane or you can get a cheap Ebay sausage gun which usually comes with fine tips.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Fir leaking installs I had taken poly urethane clearcoat with extra hardner and poured it into the leaking area crack it did stop the leak but who knows how long"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor