What do you use to seal glass leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Mark, try Permatex 81730 flowable windshield and glass sealant. It is very thin and runny but it worked well on my Dodge truck I tried it as a last resort before having the windshield taken out and re-sealed. It is still holding with no leaks.
I have used this on a couple of vehicles. Maskup the paint and window moulding and fill the groove. Afterwords un tape everything and you have no mess or smear lines so its not noticeable

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I am leaning towards that. I could not envision anything that would seep in like that. Man I love this site!! :mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I don’t know if you have considered using butyl tape? It can stretch thin if needed to get into cracks. This is what I used to seal the top of my heater box. The windshield guy used something similar to this when he did my windshield but it came in a tube and he used a gun to apply it.

Attachments

• EE0C45F3-B5D6-4513-B2C0-883337082273.jpeg
    EE0C45F3-B5D6-4513-B2C0-883337082273.jpeg
    691.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 8C513A9C-E74A-4BFC-B3DB-DD6B1E80C6E0.jpeg
    8C513A9C-E74A-4BFC-B3DB-DD6B1E80C6E0.jpeg
    778.7 KB · Views: 59

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I use the butyl tape when installing a new windshield. I like it- it never leaks. But it is thick and gets compressed by pressing the glass into it. Also very forgiving of the glass channel irregularities. There is not enough room to apply it over the stuff already in place. My other problem is the weather. First it is warm then the bottom drops out. All while waiting for the car to stand still long enough to fix it.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Several points: remove the windshield trim (don't take a shortcut and skip this critical step); find the source/point of the entry for the water leak by trickling water from top edge of windshield; and use whatever materials that professional installers apply for this kinds of problems. Be patient!!!

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I fixed a bad windshield leak two years ago. I used BoatLife Lifecaulk marine caulk schmeared along the glass edge and channel and it has not leaked a bit. Now I am dealing with another leak but my marine store doesn't carry it anymore. I wondered what you guys used to seal glass leaks without removing and replacing the entire thing. Something I can just run along the edge and it will seal well. Some of the seam sealers I saw on a truck site say they seal glass too. I wonder if they would work.
Permatex makes a clear windshield/glass sealant that any auto parts store should have. I had to use it about 18 months ago for a spot on my winter car about 4 inches long, along the top of the windshield and I haven’t seen anything leaking in since. And seam sealer should work too, but it’s usually dark grey and you will probably have a hell of a time getting it off if you ever need to once it hardens

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor