what does this plug go to on my Turbo 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
1985 Conquista 305. My transmission has been shifting sortof lazy of late, taking a couple seconds to go 1-2, sometime slow 2-3. Other times it will not shift into 3rd until about 55, wants to stay in second. I found that if I stabbed the gas pedal hard enough to trigger a downshift, then the 2-3 shift goes forward as usual. Other times it shifts just fine, but I think it has something to do with the kick-down setup.

I got under the car and immediately saw this connector was unplugged on the left side of the trans, and looks like been loose for a while.

What does it do?

thanks, I don;t have a reference and all my other cars are standards, so I;m ignorant

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 166

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
you have a TH350 lockup version of the trans.....with a bit of luck by plugging it back in you could be back on your way, google will tell you the pros and cons of the TH350C trans.....

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
you have a TH350 lockup version of the trans.....with a bit of luck by plugging it back in you could be back on your way, google will tell you the pros and cons of the TH350C trans.....
If you plug it in and the thing bucks and stalls the lock up solenoid is bad and that’s probably why it was unplugged in the first place that has nothing to do with the way your transmission shifts so you got problems elsewhere

Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
If it is shifting late, take a look at the vacuum modulator. Make sure the line is connected. If it is , unplug the line from the modulator . Any sign of fluid means a ruptured diaphragm . 1320john is correct.
timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
If it is shifting late, take a look at the vacuum modulator. Make sure the line is connected. If it is , unplug the line from the modulator . Any sign of fluid means a ruptured diaphragm . 1320john is correct.
timo22
I second that!

Reactions: 1 user

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
wow you guys are so helpful!

Tomorrow I will try each recommendation and report back.

Yes the converter seems "loose" at times, seeming to free-wheel between gear shifts. Then later it seems to be locked and I'm turning 1500 rpm going 55-60 mph.

I want this old beast to last. only showing 95K miles and feels like it could last much longer

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
f you plug it in and the thing bucks and stalls the lock up solenoid is bad and that’s probably why it was unplugged in the first place
I agree. That happened to my Mom's car. Good thing is it is an easy fix. You just drop the pan, trace the wires, and find the solenoid inside. I removed my CCC system and activated the lock-up manually with a toggle switch on the dash. It was worth about 300 rpm on the highway.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a 350C in my shed that came out of another project car, the plug is just to lock up the torque convertor and the one I have was wired to a switch with a big red light in the dash that they used to manually turn it on, as stated it has nothing to do with the actual shifting of the trans.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Way back in the day, they used to make an adjustable vacuum modulator that would move the shift points by turning an adjustment screw inside the modulator. I bought an old POS 65 GTO that had one an my trans shifted just like yours is. One of the local hot rod guys told me that might be the issue and it was. If memory serves, you would unplug the vacuum line and turn a screw inside.

That being said, could you have a vacuum leak or a bad modulator.
https://www.classictransmissionsolu...MIhJW6y8KS7AIVBYbICh0XtAitEAQYAiABEgKje_D_BwE

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
thanks for the advice. I reconnected the plug and everything seems OK, quicker shifts for sure. While underneath the car I noticed some thick branches from a tree that were stuck in the frame. At some point the car drove over a branch and it probably knocked the switch plug off the transmission.

My car does not have a vacuum modulator, rather a cable runs from the carb throttle to a switch box between the engine and firewall. I will try to lubricate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor