What does your El Camino Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
If you know, or have weighed it please share with the rest of us.
Include specs..
Year
Engine
Aluminum heads or Iron
Headers or Manifolds
Aluminum intake
Aluminum WP
ect..

Thanks

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I've really been wanting to know for certain myself what my Elky weighs. Ive heard quite a few different numbers. I'm gonna guesss about 3300. you might want to check on wikipedia. I DO remember that I read when they changed body styles on the Elky's from the larger 1977 models to the 1978-87 ones, besides the obvious , OURS lost about 500 pounds from the older models. And I like that 1980 ss you have ,cuz I have one too same year.Black on Black.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Well I have good news. I have scales at work and I plan on using them. The problem is weather, it hasn't been above 40 deg. in NC for weeks! Once the snow melts and it warms up, I'm going to get it out of the garage and drive it in. I'll post eveything I come up with to include center balance

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
3300-3500 sounds pretty close. A long time ago when it was my DD I drove it over some scales at a gravel pit and fully loaded with a bunch of crap and a net over the back to keep it in.I had it loaded right up with junk though no room to haul anything (tools, Spare, Jack, Spare Alt and fuel pump, alot of spare bolts, fluids, work gear, lunchbox, enough tools to fix it on the road...)
I 'think' it was just north of 3500 IIRC( me included ).

A

Anonymous

my friend did the "punch holes in frame" trick and took almost 400 pounds out of the weight. I never seen a car go so fast. :shock: It was real cool man!!

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
sammycage said:
my friend did the "punch holes in frame" trick and took almost 400 pounds out of the weight. I never seen a car go so fast. :shock: It was real cool man!!
400 pounds off the frame seems a hellofa lot. I would look for a different way to lighten my load.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
I didnt even know you could take that much out with out it getting unsteady....

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
HERE IS A VERIFIED GROSS WIEGHT OF MY 1980 SS....3300 LBS!!!!!
I just came back from a local truck stop(18 wheelers sleep over place.) Now the car is very basic when it comes to accessories, but here is a quick list
1980ss , with a 65-78 350block cut .030, and a nice all black interior with bucket seats and a B$M z-gate.
alluminum L98 heads
vic Jr. intake
shorty headders
A 8.5 10 bolt posi with 3.42's( from an 87 buick T-type)
"Weld" wheels 15 inch skinnys x 275/60's out back
A bolt on 3"cowl hood
Most junk that a hot rodder could take off has been removed under the hood.
And the 3300lb number was with a factory jack without the spare. so there you go .. Now I have to go outside and change the shifter cable that broke and left me stuck about 20 feet from th scale.

check your own weight at any scrap yard or truck stop .They DID charge mr $8.00 for the service.......
dedub said:
If you know, or have weighed it please share with the rest of us.
Include specs..
Year
Engine
Aluminum heads or Iron
Headers or Manifolds
Aluminum intake
Aluminum WP
ect..

Thanks

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Dude, That's perfect!!!! Thanks for the weight and info. It snowed here in NC *again* last night so taking the car out is not an option. Once it clears up I'll take it to work and post my info as well.

Thanks again
Darrin

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
Hey dedub Our cars are dam close in looks. I'd love to see your interior. I keep trying to send Pics but they are too big.
Can any one PM me with a quick rundowm on how to use a photo server or what ever you use to do other than attach a small file.
Thanks Bro's
dedub said:
Dude, That's perfect!!!! Thanks for the weight and info. It snowed here in NC *again* last night so taking the car out is not an option. Once it clears up I'll take it to work and post my info as well.

Thanks again
Darrin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor