442 What dumb s**t did I do to my car today?? Running hot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Hey guys that should be a new title lol. Well I took my car out after sitting for a month this past Friday and forgot to turn my fan on. ( car has no fan belt just electric fan). Only went about 2 miles from my house and every time I go out. Guys want to see a smoke show. So I decided to oblige. I lit the tires up and she took of like a bat out of hell. Thank god I was going back home anyway. Well I decided to leave another little patch at the bottom of my hill and that's when I realized I didn't put my fan on. at that point she was running at 240. I was less then a 1/4 mile from my house so I drove I her home and popped the hood immediately and left the fan on. After she cooled down I checked the coolant and it was full. So yesterday I went for a ride (with the fan on) and she seems to be running between 220, 230 and I point hit 240 again. Pryor to this she ran between 190 and 210. Top and bottom hoses were full so thermostat is working?? I guess what I'm asking could I have damaged something or is this normal for a car with a blower? I really haven't had the car in the summer till now. Got it in the winter and pretty much this has been the hottest weather I had her out in. So their are plenty of variables but I just want some ideas and thoughts. Ty Jim.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What fans, water pump, belt setup and what motor are you running?

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Ok I'm not entirely sure how to answer all of that but here goes. It's a single electric fan not sure of the water pump running 2 belts, one on water pump and one on power steering pump. motor is a 350 bored to 355 with blower and hefty cam. Picked up the car the way it is and have very little knowledge on the build.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
IMG_8842.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8841.JPG
    IMG_8841.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 301
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ah a chebby, should be some experts on them here. That fan may not be adequate for hotter temps or there may be a blown head gasket or cracked a head. What heads are on the motor? If Vortec heads, one may have cracked, known issues. Although going to 240 once shouldn't have caused a major failure.

Reactions: 1 user

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Ah a chebby, should be some experts on them here. That fan may not be adequate for hotter temps or there may be a blown head gasket or cracked a head. What heads are on the motor? If Vortec heads, one may have cracked, known issues. Although going to 240 once shouldn't have caused a major failure.
It looks like holley aluminum heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor