What garage floor coating would you recommend

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Ok so I rebuilt a garage that burned last year. I work so much that it’s been a slow process. Almost done with finishing drywall and then wanted to coat the floor. I’m in the north east corner of Ohio so epoxy isn’t recommended. Doing research now about it but wanted to see what guys here have done and what is recommended based on experience. Thanks

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Why isn't epoxy recommended? Whatever you get, make sure it's a 2 part mix that isn't soluble in gasoline.
Epoxy isn’t recommended in areas where cold or moisture because the epoxy will not bond to the concrete. Rust oleum makes a product however not sure if guys here have any feedback or recommendations

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Why not polish and seal the concrete itself?

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Yeah that’s a possibility also. Just want to see if anyone has a recommendation of products they has used and have good results. Thanks for the input.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah that’s a possibility also. Just want to see if anyone has a recommendation of products they has used and have good results. Thanks for the input.
The biggest issue, as you touched upon, is moisture content in the slab, and what kind of insulation and barrier were underneath before the pour.

I kind of like the look of a dyed floor that's sealed, depending on color choice even spill residue cam blend in some.

We've used various epoxy products with, varied success.Cleaning the floors super well helps, but, problem is again things from underneath that you can't control influence the longevity.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have never heard that epoxy isn't recommended for the north east. And your reasoning makes no sense. It rains damn near everywhere so it can't be moisture. There are businesses around me that only do epoxy coatings on concrete. Some have been around for over 25 years. Dealership garage floors are usually done with it. I did mine myself. Epoxy is perfectly fine for use in the northeast on garage floors.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have never heard that epoxy isn't recommended for the north east. And your reasoning makes no sense. It rains damn near everywhere so it can't be moisture. There are businesses around me that only do epoxy coatings on concrete. Some have been around for over 25 years. Dealership garage floors are usually done with it. I did mine myself. Epoxy is perfectly fine for use in the northeast on garage floors.
Don't forget that many parts of the northeast aggressively update to follow the latest versions of IBC recs, and thus, have a vapor barrier down below slab and have been getting one for a long time. Not everywhere does that.

We're likely going to throw up a few 10x20 garage bays this fall, and, no permits or inspections needed for any part of it.

I'd wager the first thing any reputable coatings company does is check moisture content.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I used the rust oleum epoxy in the house garage and the shop floors. Moisture barrier laid down first and waited about a month after the pours to apply the epoxy. Still doing good after 18 years ago. Cleanliness and moisture barriers are the keys.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor