What gear ratios are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
This is my first build and have gotten a great amount of advice on here. My 86 MCSS frame is away getting blasted and powder coated and i would like to have he rear end ready to put it all together asap. My engine will be a stroked 6.0 (eventually on boost) and very possibly a 4l80 (this is what my research is telling me is best fit). MY goal is to street and drag occasionally. I was looking at the ford 9" but not sure what gear ratio to go with. any help is much appreciated.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What tire?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
gotta get measurements. im going to be running 20" for now. not sure what in the future. but not a huge fan of the big wheels. is that a decision i need to make first?
20 what? Come up with an actual tire size, not rim size.

If it has a stock cam, then you need to figure that in for determining cruise rpm and track max rpm. Or, what is the motor going to end up with even if you aren't going to do it at time of initial install.

And as Built6spdMCSS mentioned, any power adders?

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
20 what? Come up with an actual tire size, not rim size.

If it has a stock cam, then you need to figure that in for determining cruise rpm and track max rpm. Or, what is the motor going to end up with even if you aren't going to do it at time of initial install.

And as Built6spdMCSS mentioned, any power adders?
That’s tough, at the beginner stages . Will be on boost hoping for around 1k hp. Need to speak with builder I guess to determine cam. Been a nightmare to get this going

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ

For overall tire size go -

Screenshot (86).png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That’s tough, at the beginner stages . Will be on boost hoping for around 1k hp. Need to speak with builder I guess to determine cam. Been a nightmare to get this going
That's a dilemma. The gear that you need for the track at 400-500 hp will be off by a lot at 1000hp. So either plan to change them as needed or pick the gear for 1000hp because you're not going to pick one that will work for both.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Since you have an OD with the 80e plan to drag it, 3.73 at the lowest. Many 1000hp+ 8 second cars run 3.73's.

Best suggestion I have is go to Wallace racing calculator online, type in 3.73, 5% converter slip, 28" tire and 1-1 ratio for 3rd gear and it's like 148mph at 6750rpm or something. It's going to drive great on 3.73, 4.11, 4.30 or anything in there is a good choice also.

You might loose half a sec at the track with a 3.73 that's more 1000hp 8 second territory over a 4.56 that's more 375hp 13 second territory but if you know you're going to swap boost down the road, determine what your goal quarter mile time is, determine the trap speed, and do the math to find the gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor