What gives those Mustangs the GROWL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I have asked this question on other forums without much response. What is it that gives mustangs that exhaust growl that sounds so sinister and cool ? I questioned if it was the type of mufflers, diameter of the pipes, Configuration, Routing, etc.

Anybody got a clue as to what makes these cars sound different from other muscle cars ? Chime in ...

87BlazeLS

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have always heard it was the H or X pipe. That might be why every diehard mustang guy swears by them.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Part of it is the firing order too. Don't laugh. That's why LS engines sound more like Fords than old SBCs.

Reactions: 1 user

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Firing order ,X pipe ? Why would these make for such an unusual exhaust note ?

Would it be similar to the difference between a Harley V twinn and say a Metric cruiser V twinn ?

One being 45 degree and the other 52 degree ?

Even Mustang GT's with stock exhaust sound badd azz. And they are loaded up with Cat's and polution control.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The actual "growl" is probably mostly muffler design. The rhythm is from the firing order. Remember the 4-7 swap cams for SBCs? That gives them the same firing order as a SBF or an LS. The actual number order is different but actual order is the same. Yes, like the difference between the odd firing Harley and an even firing metric bike. Put the same pipes on and they're both loud but sound totally different. The combined aspects give every engine a signature sound.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I See ! Thanks for the clarification ! so this muffler design would be like flowmaster ?

I have 355 SBC with shorty headers and Patriot side pipes and my growl is rather puppy like.
and not the menace like the mustangs. Am I doomed as far as getting a similar sound ?

87 BlazeLS

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I always thought the newer Mustangs had more of a Magnaflow sound than a Flowmaster. Both manufacturers used to have sound clips on their websites. People post them on youtube all the time too but I don't think their crappy cell phone mics capture it very well.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
87BlazeLS said:
I have asked this question on other forums without much response. What is it that gives mustangs that exhaust growl that sounds so sinister and cool ? I questioned if it was the type of mufflers, diameter of the pipes, Configuration, Routing, etc.

Anybody got a clue as to what makes these cars sound different from other muscle cars ? Chime in ...

87BlazeLS

I've always wondered that as well!!... :lol: I have a sweet spot for the 5.0 stangs and the exhaust sound! My sbc 350 never sounded the same, hopefully my LS1 will. :mrgreen:

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
i had a 98 z28, that had a cam, headers, and true-dual exhaust with an X-pipe, no cats, and bullet mufflers. That thing sounded MEAN.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I may in the future kill the side pipes in favor of a straight back from the collector to X pipe and then magnaflow mufflers to
short turn downs just before the rear axle. It's down the road a little further... Got other irons in the fire yet to burn.

jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor