What happened today 75 years ago...

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My grandfather sat bored off his @$$ as his unit waited on ship to get across the English Channel. At this point he was tired of the on again/off again wait for the invasion they have been prepping for for weeks. He was told his unit's wave was to hit the clearing beaches to set up the field hospital for the wounded. So no need for him to carry a weapon to the beach landing. In less than two days will he be surprised...

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
From the sound of it, since you have heard the story, he made it through?

Heartfelt thanks to all who have served!

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
He never went into the full details of the day but he was one lucky SOB getting on & off the beach. But that's two days away for him...

Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
He never went into the full details of the day .

It's been my personal experience that those who have really seen the horrors of warfare do not generally discuss it. I don't blame them.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What one has seen changes their point of view on alot of things. I limit what I tell those outside of this select group of people. But there are those who brag of what they did (or really didn't) do in such events. Most of my talking to the general public is done with this:
1559692656717.png
Alot of men got one that fateful day. For those who know how/why one is awarded, gives respect to all with one.

Reactions: 6 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My dad served in Vietnam for with the Army. There is alot of the lighter events he talks about, but there is plenty he withholds which is fine. As I've gotten older he has told a little more, but I never press the issue.

Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What one has seen changes their point of view on alot of things. I limit what I tell those outside of this select group of people. But there are those who brag of what they did (or really didn't) do in such events. Most of my talking to the general public is done with this:
View attachment 115175
Alot of men got one that fateful day. For those who know how/why one is awarded, gives respect to all with one.
My grandfather had one. He gave it to me when I was way too young, and I'm pretty sure I lost it. (Feel like a jackass, too)
Other grandfather was a cargo pilot that had *ss cheek grafted to his face.
Just dropped Uncle Blizz off at the veterans cemetary this morning.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
At this point in the time line My grandfather is sitting on that ship he has gotten sick of being on & around still waiting for them to say there was yet another delay dispite aircraft getting ready to take off with the airborne units. Again between limited sleep he was making sure his guys still have all their gear & the what was needed to establish what is suppose to start off as an aid station thats to trainsition to a field hospital before setting up his mess section. Typical NCO buisness. Expecting that most of the action will be moved away from the beach, they figure there will be a access route off the beach to a site to set up. Now it's just the hurry up & wait for the armed guys to hit the beach get it opened when the first wave lands...

Nov 4, 2012
That's pretty awesome that your grandfather took part in D Day and really cool that you know the events leading up to it that he was part of.

My grandfather enlisted in the Navy and served in the Pacific theater. He took part in 9 invasions on the USS Black DD-666. I don't remember all of them, but I do know he was at Saipan, Leyte, the Marshall Islands, Gilbert Islands, Guadalcanal, and Guam. Their ship was shelled and had to return to port for repairs at one point. He had total hearing loss in one ear from that attack. He talked about his service pretty openly.

His brother (my Uncle Joe, my namesake) served in the Army in the Mediterranean and North Africa. I don't know a whole lot about what he did, but I remember him laughing about how dumb the Italian soldiers were.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My grandfather enlisted in the Navy and served in the Pacific theater. He took part in 9 invasions on the USS Black DD-666. I don't remember all of them, but I do know he was at Saipan, Leyte, the Marshall Islands, Gilbert Islands, Guadalcanal, and Guam. Their ship was shelled and had to return to port for repairs at one point. He had total hearing loss in one ear from that attack. He talked about his service pretty openly.
My other grandfather was career Navy from '42-'69 (three war vet). He was at one point listed as lost at sea but was found in a hospital in Hawaii, had a total of three ships taken out from under his feet. Never spent time with this grandfather as he stayed on the West Coast when he retired. But he was good for advice for my first deployment & how to be when I got back.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor