What headers have the best chance of fitting without modifiation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Down Shift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2018
HI,

First, car is a 1979 Malibu with a SBC350 with Vortec heads and a TH400.

I bought a set of Flowtech headers (31104 FLT), and they fit fine, but the driver's side header had a bad weld so they went back to Summit. I just exchanged them for another pair. With the 2nd pair, the passenger side header interferes with the rearward front lower control arm mount. I am going to send them back, but I'm not sure I want to roll the dice with Flowtech again.

What brand tends to fit best? I would prefer stainless or ceramic coated.

I did a search, but my search-fu must be weak because I didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought some stainless Ebay headers that fit very well, I had to notch the driver's side clamshell and because I have a column shifter I had to modify the linkage.
Here is the thread about them.

20190707_191602-1_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Down Shift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion. For better or worse, the first set of headers I bought were stainless ones off Ebay. The listing said they would fit a 1979 Malibu. There was so much interference between the passenger side header and the frame that I couldn't even bolt them up. They were totally unsusable. Maybe I just chose the wrong Chinese headers?

I've been through 3 sets of headers now and none of them have worked out. I just want to buy something of decent quality that fits and be done with it.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I tried Flowmaster 1st, did not fit at all. Bought Hooker SS, alot of issues but got them to work. If I was to do another G body project I’d go with shorties

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Hedman 66609 fit great in my El Camino. The 66609 are for D port heads which my LT1 has. I do believe they make the same headers for regular ports too. Not sure what the number is for those.

Down Shift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2018
Well, I just decided to "fix" the Flowtech headers. I know I damaged the ceramic coating and they will rust in that area, but by golly now they fit with 1/4" of clearance!

On to tackling other problems with this build...

Thanks for the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor