what heads can i put on this lt1 block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2015
oklahoma city
im wanting to do away with the fuel injection and run carb and intake with distibutor can anyone here point me in the right direction as to what heads i can use on this motor? any most important can you please tell me what this motor could have gon in?i was told it came out of a 95 caprice. any and all help is greatly thanked in advance.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
You can swap your cast iron heads for F body or corvette aluminum heads. Aftermarket is also another option. The LT1 uses reverse flow cooling so I am not sure how that effects compatibility. Why remove EFI, computer management and optispark? These are what make the LT1 a good performer on the street.

mcdriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2015
oklahoma city
well this motor gonna be going into my 1980 monte carlo,really not chasing numbers im more after the longevity and longrun life of the car. thanks for those links

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You can keep the heads you have. BTW, iron LT1 heads are reported to flow better than the aluminum version. Advantage of aluminum over iron is lighter weight (obviously) and their ability to take a bit more compression, all things being equal.
All you really need is the LT1 carb intake, a traditional distributor, and an Optispark delete plate.

PS, I'm not sure that's a true LT1. I think that might be the smaller 4.3 version with the L99 code.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
That's not an LT1 block

What is the 3 digit number under the head on the front of the block? 588 is the L99 4.3 caprice sedan block

I think if you're going to run it carbed, you'd make your life a lot easier and less expensive to start with a Gen I block/engine

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
WKA comes back as a 1994 4.3 out of a Caprice.

L99 has a smaller cam, smaller bore, and is rated at 200 HP versus the 300 of an LT1

BUT, oddly, looks like the identifier on the front of the block is 327, which is the 5.7 casting ID, while the casting number in the first pic you posted is not an LT1 number.

Are these pictures all of the same engine?

What does the cylinder bore measure?

Last edited:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
From the casting in the first pic -- GM4300G. GM(General Motors) 4300(cubic centimeters) G(gas)

mcdriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2015
oklahoma city

L99 has a smaller cam, smaller bore, and is rated at 200 HP versus the 300 of an LT1

BUT, oddly, looks like the identifier on the front of the block is 327, which is the 5.7 casting ID, while the casting number in the first pic you posted is not an LT1 number.

yes the pics are all from the same motor.

All the pics are of the same engine,id have to go across town to get measurements of bore,ill post more pics here soon,ive seen a few of those 4.3 caprices got on down the road and go many many places reliably,im hoping this although they were fuel injected im sure a carb'd one will do the same with proper tuning and adjustments.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Should be a decent cruiser, just not much of a powerhouse. Stay conservative on carb size selection. Good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor