What height intake with stock hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Hey guys just picked up an 84 Cutlass and going to do an LS 6.0 swap. Trying to figure out what intake will fit under stock hood. Really want something with long runner for more torque. If I can't fit under hood I guess it'll be cowl hood but money is tight.
Thanks

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
People put the truck manifold/un modified truck motor under the hood. You won't get more torque than that.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
After much research I think I am going with a FAST but do not know which one yet. Expensive but the LSX R seems to make most torque

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Your opinion is noted but can you be more factual ?

Do your homework on LS1tech.com The Fast intakes look nice but are very pricey. For perfrormance, results vary and with some engine combos torque has suffered (an inherent weakness with LS engines). Many only offer a marginal performance advantage compared to the L92 and later intakes.
I wasn't willing to pay over 1K for something that might detract from performance. I run a shaved L92 intake on my 6.2

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Your opinion is noted but can you be more factual ?

My opinion is noted? That's cute.

If you understood flow potential vs. flow peformance you'd pretty quickly realize that a stock intake port does not require the advantages of a FAST intake, especially when coupled with a typical street cam that makes good torque. What you think you want and what actually need are two very distinct sets of criteria.

So if you want a smooth looking intake get the Dorman LS2, or if you don't care get a TBSS intake. Or buy an oversized composite leaky modular intake and enjoy impressing the local yokels with your purchasing power.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Do your homework on LS1tech.com The Fast intakes look nice but are very pricey. For perfrormance, results vary and with some engine combos torque has suffered (an inherent weakness with LS engines). Many only offer a marginal performance advantage compared to the L92 and later intakes.
I wasn't willing to pay over 1K for something that might detract from performance. I run a shaved L92 intake on my 6.2
Been on that site for 10 years. Had a 2000 WS6 forged 346 with full port 243's Fast Comp Tick 6 spd S60 rear etc. New to the g bodies

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
My opinion is noted? That's cute.

If you understood flow potential vs. flow peformance you'd pretty quickly realize that a stock intake port does not require the advantages of a FAST intake, especially when coupled with a typical street cam that makes good torque. What you think you want and what actually need are two very distinct sets of criteria.

So if you want a smooth looking intake get the Dorman LS2, or if you don't care get a TBSS intake. Or buy an oversized composite leaky modular intake and enjoy impressing the local yokels with your purchas
I have no where near a stock intake port.
Yes I said your opinion was noted and I wasn't being sarcastic but I can see you are an Internet tuff boy so do us all a favor and stick it. I've worked on everything from a blown alcohol funny car to several big block chevelle street cars. I know enough to be dangerous ya smart *ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor