What impedance should rear 4x10 speakers be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Here y'all go. This is with Boss BRS 3.5" dash speakers and powerbass 4x10's in the rear. Definitely a treble rebel which is fine. I've got hearing damage from too much bass when I was younger. Oh, and before y'all judge, I listen to all genre's, this is Nappy Roots who is a local rap group.

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here y'all go. This is with Boss BRS 3.5" dash speakers and powerbass 4x10's in the rear. Definitely a treble rebel which is fine. I've got hearing damage from too much bass when I was younger. Oh, and before y'all judge, I listen to all genre's, this is Nappy Roots who is a local rap group.
I'm surprised that it didn't overload the mic (assuming it was your phone).

Now, start that beotch up and repeat... :p

Reactions: 2 users

awspeich

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2019
But, GM was special and used 10ohm speakers. Reducing the impedance does nothing more than make the THD on the amp go up and work it a little harder. The perception will be that it "seems" louder, but, in reality, you just don't have to turn the volume knob up as high to get the same level.
The audio clips you posted sounds really good! And I like the gauges BTW! But I am wondering if this makes a difference for a stock radio? If I use the 4 ohm speakers with the factory radio, designed for 10 ohm, will it matter? I have read that you can install a wire wound resistor in series to get closer to 10 ohm? I know it may 'sound' louder with a the 4 ohm, but I am more worried about the output from the stock radio going bad because of it. I'd like to keep the original radio, since the rest of the car is also original. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The audio clips you posted sounds really good! And I like the gauges BTW! But I am wondering if this makes a difference for a stock radio? If I use the 4 ohm speakers with the factory radio, designed for 10 ohm, will it matter? I have read that you can install a wire wound resistor in series to get closer to 10 ohm? I know it may 'sound' louder with a the 4 ohm, but I am more worried about the output from the stock radio going bad because of it. I'd like to keep the original radio, since the rest of the car is also original. Any thoughts?
It'll be fine. I was an installer for 8 years; did it all the time, and noone ever fried their factory head unit.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor