What is a olds 350 diesel worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
Found a early 80's grand prix with a diesel olds 350. It runs and drives. I know they are worth some money. Anyone know the going price?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If the car isn't a rusty turd, as a whole running and driving, I'd say no more than 2 grand. Just the engine? running, 2-300 MAX. People use the blocks to build Olds 350 stroker motors.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I used to have a 79 chevy pick up with a 350 diesel. It was gut less. Lots of torque but only 110 h.p.
It was a leaky, rattling, really heavy time bomb. I do know that the transmissions in those were BOP
compatible. So when you pull the motor you can put any gm engine of similar size in place with little issues.
I put a 1972 350 Olds rocket motor in my truck and everything hooked right up.
These engines were gas motors that were MADE into diesels . They were never strong enough to handle
the stress and compression ratio of the diesel design. Mine was dead at just 80 K miles. A $12 head gasket
took out the cooling system and it over heated. After the motor swap I dumped that puppy in the scrap yard.
700 lbs. So if the car is in good shape drop in a small block of your choosing easily.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, a SBO or a BBO will swap in no problem. Some of those cars had the TH200 behind the diesel, as stupid a decision as the 350 olds diesel was. IF it does, junk the engine and trans. Clean out the tank or run it dry, which you might not be able to do to a diesel. Install gas motor and boom.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
We just drained the gas tank and purged it out with a gallon of gas. Then it was good to go .
It never gave me a bit of trouble with the olds motor. It took a few weeks of running as a DD
to get the soot and diesel build up in the exhaust to stop emitting black smoke.
It was a very easy swap for a 79 pick up. The truck had a TH 400 and a 12 bolt rear.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The big problems were 4 head bolts per cylinder, Olds added two smaller bolts on the V6, super high compression, to short of main bolts and no water fuel seperator. Unless great mileage with no power is wanted, the value is for racing with the very strong block.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The block is whats worth money, if its a DX block you have a small fortune!
All diesel 350 blocks were DX blocks, that was the diesel designation. If he snags it the whole car will be worth it just for the block. They can take being bored/stroked upto 440 cubic inches and some even beyond that.

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
Car is junk I know the block is worth money what is the going price for them? What to know if is worth it

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Actually the 78-80 blocks were a D designation. Hard to say on the value, Olds guys are cheap. There is some value to the right oddball, as running Olds diesels are very rare these days. Supposedly a lot of the newer turbo diesels have 4 head bolts per cylinder, sure hope they hold up, maybe top quality bolts and better placement make a difference. Ask Ford 6L International diesel owners how that went with 4 Head bolts per cylinder.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor