Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePatriot

n00b
May 11, 2021
I have one of those hard, no absolute right answer questions that have likely been asked many times before but the answers are market/time driven.

What is my 1980 Malibu Classic worth?

She’s been in the family since 1988 and one of my most treasured cars, but the time has come to thin the herd and unfortunately, this is likely one of them that has to go.

Mild 355 w/approx.. 10K or less miles.
1970 M20 4-Speed w/Hayes Single Disk Clutch
1986 Monte 10-Bolt Diff
16” GTA Wheels and new tires
Ricaro Seats
Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges

She needs paint and a couple of the rear compartment plastics refinished. The 3M window tint I had installed back in 1990 is wayyy beyond life and needs replaced. Floors and trunk are excellent, fairly new carpet (2 yrs then stored in shop). In 1990 the entire doghouse to include firewall, frame, fenders, suspension was blasted, sprayed with self-etching primer and painted satin black. Shows age but fully protected against rust.

We put a fresh SBC in it then got on with other projects. After fluid changes and a carb swap she fired up and still wants to lope a bit. Drove her about nine miles and she smoothed out on the way back. I have a good video of that motor idling but couldn't figure out how to post it here.

Trying to vector, above $10K, below $10, repaint would substantially increase value or?

1980-malibu-ph4-01.jpg
1980-malibu-ph4-02.jpg
1980-malibu-ph4-03.jpg
1980-malibu-ph4-05.jpg
1980-malibu-ph4-06.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
To the right buyer, as-is, you're probably hovering around or just under the 10k mark.

The cosmetics really hurt you, as does the no a/c from the looks of the firewall. No working vent, ac, trashes the drivability when the windshield tries to fog up. Does it have heat?

Some who looks at the car and sees a crumbly plastic, peeling tint, and flaking paint sees partly a project.

You fix those with a decent but lower cost paint job and I'd think you get more out of it in value increase than the improvements cost.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If you're selling it, don't put $ into it. You won't get it back out. Put time into it. Clean, degrease, then DETAIL the car to the nth degree. Including the engine. Will probably take you a week of nights and weekends to do it perfectly. Peel the bad tint and just clean the windows. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ThePatriot

n00b
May 11, 2021
To the right buyer, as-is, you're probably hovering around or just under the 10k mark.

The cosmetics really hurt you, as does the no a/c from the looks of the firewall. No working vent, ac, trashes the drivability when the windshield tries to fog up. Does it have heat?

Some who looks at the car and sees a crumbly plastic, peeling tint, and flaking paint sees partly a project.

You fix those with a decent but lower cost paint job and I'd think you get more out of it in value increase than the improvements cost.
Good info, thank you! It actually has a heater and defrost. Way back in the day I just pulled that overwhelming mess of an A/C fiberglass shell and cleaned up the firewall--I'm more of a performance guy than show car guy. If you look low and left you'll see where the heater hoses enter/exit and they plumb to the correct locations on the motor. She's certainly a bit of a project. The paint is old and I replaced the SS nose I once had on it with a factory nose (still have an extra).
Thanks again!

ThePatriot

n00b
May 11, 2021
If you're selling it, don't put $ into it. You won't get it back out. Put time into it. Clean, decrease, then DETAIL the car to the nth degree. Including the engine. Will probably take you a week of nights and weekends to do it perfectly. Peel the bad tint and just clean the windows. JMO
Thank you, that's good advice. The engine is actually completely grease free--fairly new, but just about everything else is certainly dirty and in need of some shine. I'll likely repaint the firewall and brake booster as that's a real eye sore after a couple years of storage.

It's starting to look like $7-8K might be a good selling price.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'll add that location can influence price. Malibus are pretty scarce in the midwest, seems like there are more in the southeast and mid-south than areas further west. This could sway to a higher price to the person that's looking for one, rather than the buyer that's looking for "something".

Interiors are the hardest/most expensive part of these cars, spend the time making it nice, makes for an easier sale, IMO. I have more in refurbishing the interior in mine than any other single system (excluding initial purchase, and that was barely more than the interior cost).

Having said that......My personal experience with attempting to sell mine was that the majority of buyers are wanting to build "race car" out of them, and are looking for cheap rollers

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I have no idea what your car can fetch. It's worth what a buyer is willing to give or wants it bad. Cars are bought by guys who had one or their parents did when they were growing up. Detail the engine compartment with lots of elbow grease (doesn't cost anything) Peel the old tint off and detail the glass inside (elbow grease again). Power wash the undercarriage and inner fenders. I'm surprised at car at shows that are for sale and look ok on the outside, just don't look underneath and see years of accumulated dirt and 40 yr old leaks. Remember that a super clean car ups the price.

Attachments

• Differential  wPosi 3 (35).JPG
    Differential wPosi 3 (35).JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 172
  • DriveShaftSafetyloop4.jpg
    DriveShaftSafetyloop4.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor