Not open for further replies.

OldsDad

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Mar 16, 2019
Southwest Michigan 49102
I don't really know what i'
20190228_144640.jpg
m looking for I was told it began with a I This is a 1986 442. The Car is coming from paint in the next couple of weeks. We removed the sunroof to reseal it and the Headliner that looked pretty good in not so good and it needs to be replaced The interior is Blue I just wanna get it right

Attachments

• 20190228_144642.jpg
    20190228_144642.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 216

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 27 code is your interior color. Dark Blue. You will be hard pressed to find an EXACT match to your headliner. The closest ones are either a hair lighter (hard to tell until you compare side by side) and the darker one is easy to tell it's too dark.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's pics of the headliner of my 87 after I changed it out. It was sagging in places due to the foam drying up and crunchifying. Same color as yours. I went with the hair lighter shade of dark blue. Closest one I could find at the time and I had 42 swatches it seemed like from different headliner companies. Some of the pics are kinda washed out due to it being a super bright and sunny day out when I took the pics, but the visors are the original ones so you can see there is a slight difference in the blue shade. The headliner is actually a darker blue that it looks due to the light reflections, etc, but you get the idea.

frontseat1.jpg

headliner1.jpg

headliner2.jpg

headliner3.jpg

headliner4.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's pics of the headliner of my 87 after I changed it out. It was sagging in places due to the foam drying up and crunchifying. Same color as yours. I went with the hair lighter shade of dark blue. Closest one I could find at the time and I had 42 swatches it seemed like from different headliner companies. Some of the pics are kinda washed out due to it being a super bright and sunny day out when I took the pics, but the visors are the original ones so you can see there is a slight difference in the blue shade. The headliner is actually a darker blue that it looks due to the light reflections, etc, but you get the idea.

View attachment 114188

View attachment 114189

View attachment 114190

View attachment 114191

View attachment 114192
Oh, that is just unacceptable! :p

Damn, that thing is clean!!!!! I think my OCD would have the visors done in the same material, though. Maybe not right away, but it would be on my mental list.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, that is just unacceptable! :p

Damn, that thing is clean!!!!! I think my OCD would have the visors done in the same material, though. Maybe not right away, but it would be on my mental list.
Thanks. I am considering getting the visors done too, but the lady I had do the visors on the 84 "retired" and doesn't do that work anymore. She was damn good and it looked just like a factory sew job. So I'm not sure who I can trust. I have more headliner material, and I think about that every time I get in the car. One of those things on the list I gotta do. Have to start poking friends and relatives here locally that may know someone who knows someone. I probably should get another set of visors and just swap them out if they come out acceptable. I just answered my own concern there.

Trying to find my ticket as to which blue I ordered. IIRC, it was A1665, Navy blue. A hair lighter shade than original. Shadow blue is A1871, but it looked like a dirty darker blue compared with the original. A tad too dark. Close though, but had a blacker look to it. A1690 seemed a bit off as well, didn't have enough "blue" in it.

Always get samples to compare. The dye process probably varies slightly from batch to batch, as did the originals. But I'm not sure what the tolerances are for aftermarket. Nobody has ever said anything about headliners in any of my cars, and I know the colors aren't 100% spot-on, so I'm ok with it. This is one area of trying to keep a car all original where everyone will eventually fail. Gravity sucks.

Reactions: 1 users

OldsDad

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Mar 16, 2019
Southwest Michigan 49102
The Problem I have is the interior shop has several sample Boards and books, but they also are probably from 1986 and pretty faded probably not the true color. I'm gonna go there tomorrow with the sunshade from the sunroof because we need that done first before we reinstall the slider frame. and see if they can order a couple samples first. Its too bad because the headliner was in really good condition until we removed it to reseal the sunroof and it just Fell apart!!!!!!!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The Problem I have is the interior shop has several sample Boards and books, but they also are probably from 1986 and pretty faded probably not the true color. I'm gonna go there tomorrow with the sunshade from the sunroof because we need that done first before we reinstall the slider frame. and see if they can order a couple samples first. Its too bad because the headliner was in really good condition until we removed it to reseal the sunroof and it just Fell apart!!!!!!!
Of course. The foam dries out. Nothing you can do the way they were and currently being made. Crumble City. Mine had little bubbles starting along the sides. I knew it was just a matter of time after that.

I have two samples of shadow blue here and next to each other, they're both a tad shade different. Still too dark IMO, but if the interior shop gets the standard samples in, more than likely it'll be 1665 or 1690 you'll end up with. Just my guess. But they may have a spot on sample, who knows. I tried SMS, and their headliner sample was lighter than the original fabric. Hard tops don't see much in the way of fade, so I'm pretty confident the piece of material I trimmed off the original fabric from above the sun visor would be about the best color sample I could get (the triangle shaped piece in the picture with no foam on it).

Beware, digital photography on the interwebz still messes with the color nuances. I tried to get them side by side for best comparison. Although, SMS does not give you any part numbers to check out.

87 442 interior color swatches 1.JPG

87 442 interior color swatches 2.JPG

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
How did you do with SMS ? When I got the cloth for my wagon they werent bad but when I bought the cloths for my 81 they were terrible to deal with.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How did you do with SMS ? When I got the cloth for my wagon they werent bad but when I bought the cloths for my 81 they were terrible to deal with.
I didn't. There was a pick in the center of the seat bottom that was driving me nuts. Like someone picked a chunk of the ridge out of the fabric. Wasn't a hole, but it looked like azz. But I made some trades for some NOS bucket seat covers and changed it out. They were wanting 80 bucks per yard 8 years ago. The fabric and vinyl seemed like a great match, but the headliner wasn't a good match. After the samples, I declined their services, so I can't say one way or another about them. I've heard stories about them both good and bad. A bi-polar shop owner maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor