what is needed to convert non-ss monte to ss front

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementoleflows

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2006
what would i need to buy to put the ss front end on my car? i have an 81 monte carlo v6 with plans for an lt1. i really like the ss front and when looking at that front compared to mine it looks like i just need the front bumper and lights. is that all or do i need to swap fenders and hood and bumper?

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
the supports behind the two different bumpers are very different. The shell is usally inexpensive but the head light bezels and the ss bumper supports and such are expensive. You can get a new one from honest charley but expect to pay anywhere from 1K-2.5K. they do look better but the kits i have seen are very expensive. maybe you could find a donor?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Try MontecarloSS.com

Its a great board, and lots of parts for sale.[/url]

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
You would need to strip the front end off your car first.

parts needed:

front nose
bumper egg crate
air tunnel
fender extensions
headlight buckets, I think they are diff.

I think that about does it.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Don't forget the top plate between the rad cradle and the nose as well. ;-)

Oh, and if you're sourcing all of the parts seperately you'll need the side marker lights and the front signal lights too.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Where do you live at? I have access to an 87 SS that has most of the parts you need.

Randy

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Front signal lights are actually the same as an SC - other than that, the guys have it covered on what is required. A donor or package purchase is the way to go. Buying the parts aftermarket adds up way to quick - you can buy a whole parts car cheaper in a lot of cases.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Hey SS4Ever-those wheels look amazing on your car!! I hav always liked the ZQ8s but never found any I could afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor