what is the best spring rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

85cutlass

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2007
Oceanside, NY
i have an 85 olds cutlass and it originally had a v6 in it and im putting a v8 in it need 2 get new springs. i found a set on summit racing with 424lbs/inch. what does this mean and is this a real stiff ride or is it to soft. thanks in advance for your help.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Moog 5660 is the most commonly used. Its rated at 639 lbs/in. Moog 5658 is also a great choice its rated at 579 lbs/in. The factory springs used in the GN/442/MCSS was 420 lbs/in. Standard G-body springs are 346 lbs/in. I used a Eibach lowering spring years back rated at 770 lbs/in but in my opiion its a little too stiff.

Reactions: 1 user

85cutlass

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2007
Oceanside, NY
does anyone know any good websites or anywere i can get a new set of front springs and shocks.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Vern said:
Moog 5660 is the most commonly used. Its rated at 639 lbs/in. Moog 5658 is also a great choice its rated at 579 lbs/in. The factory springs used in the GN/442/MCSS was 420 lbs/in. Standard G-body springs are 346 lbs/in. I used a Eibach lowering spring years back rated at 770 lbs/in but in my opiion its a little too stiff.

Where did you find the spring rate data for those Eibach springs? I have had them for years and could never find the actual spring rate! Are they the Pro Kit springs, and if so, do you know the rate of the rear springs?

I will agree that they can be a little stiff, but the long wheel base seems to dampen it out a bit unless you are on really bad roads, which we don't have too many of where I live.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Drums, In the chart you listed it shows a 1/2" drop from the original ride height although he mentions it as a 1" drop in the text. A lot of people like 1/2" drop from original ride height its just a matter of preference.

85 Cutty, I bought the pro set over 10 years ago. I was told by a Eibach tech the 770 number back then although I have seen on another chart somewhere the Eibach pro 1ish " drop springs listed as 706lbs. Eitherway I would buy Moog to do over as their priced better and have a lesser more appropriate spring rate for a driver.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor