what is the best way to STIFFEN a spring without making it taller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I just completed a 2 inch spindle drop on my H/O and sadly I got ahead of myself and purchased tires and wheels BEFORE I did this.
You all know where this is going.

The tire and wheel fit nicely in the wheel well
hurstwheelwell.jpg
.......but when I turn and have any kind of suspension travel on the driver's side front wheel, it
hits the wheel well and wheel molding. The 235 tire I purchased I thought would be okay but the wheel has little to no backspacing so thus
it's outer edge is right there, close to the wheel molding.

I'd like to find an easy way to make the front coils stiffer until I can afford new springs. I can't go back and order different wheels and
tires now. Too much invested so my work around is how do I stiffen the coils without losing my 2 inch drop I just installed.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I was thinking of a spring spacer.....where the coil will not collapse as far............

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
The coils are OE, so 40 years of gravity I get it. I'm just not ready to buy new coils at stock height yet......unless I can find a GONGA deal.

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Odd thing is it seems it is only on the driver's side..........of which I used the search forum and it seems there have been others that have claimed
weak spring rates on the driver's side..........
I verified the ride height and it is equal side to side.

Oh and new sway bar end links as well...........

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you put a solid spacer where the spring meets the lower pocket/spring seat it's works out to a 2:1 ratio,so a 1/2" solid aluminum spacer will increase the ride height an inch.it's cheap and can be reversed when you make changes.

Reactions: 2 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
if you put a solid spacer where the spring meets the lower pocket/spring seat it's works out to a 2:1 ratio,so a 1/2" solid aluminum spacer will increase the ride height an inch.it's cheap and can be reversed when you make changes.
So the spacer must go UNDER the spring at the bottom where it sits in the lower control arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor