what is the best way to STIFFEN a spring without making it taller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
A pair/set of springs isn't really that expensive. If you are considering going to the trouble of adding a spacer, why not just replace the springs?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
A pair/set of springs isn't really that expensive. If you are considering going to the trouble of adding a spacer, why not just replace the springs?
I see your point........to open up the control arms and go thru all that I would install new stock height springs.........
I was hoping for a quick inexpensive fix. Thanks for your opinion.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I wish there was an easy fix too. My car does the same thing when I'm backing out of a driveway with the wheels turned and hit a bump.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Springs are under a hundred bux on RA..might be the best bang for the buck on these cars

And I agree, as much of a PITA it is to pull the springs for spacers, just replace them while you're in there,

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Moog 5662s are $45 on RA. You have drop spindles already; do it- you will not be disappointed!
I used your part name and number under Rockauto and it did not come up..............
what search data did you use?
I used 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais 5.7 and all I find is rear coils...............not fronts............

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Will my Olds, being a Hurst with the 350 CI in it, need any special coils? With the added weight of the 350? Or won't it make that much difference.
I hate to buy OE springs for non H/Os and then come to find out I need heavy duty springs with the weight and suspension set up on the H/O?
My searches seem to just take me to the 305 V8s.............

I am finding a lot of different part numbers checking Federal Mogul and Moog and I can find 305 V8s WITH A/C but no 350 V8s with A/C.

I have used the recommended part number suggested above at Rock Auto and it does NOT come up......for my application.
Not sure what search criteria others are using but I can't find it using mine.

Last edited:

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
When the G Body with stock suspension geometry on the front, (stock height spindles and ball joints) hits a bump or compresses, the tops of the front tires lean out towards the fender (positive camber curve).
On a modern front end set up (like our G Body kits ) the the tops of the tire will "tuck" in out of the way of the fender (negative camber curve).

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor