What is the correlation with S10 & G Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I'm new here and when I had my last G-body 20 years ago all of this information was not available. I keep seeing parts swaps with the S10 pick up and I'm wonding what the correlation is? I've seen updates for brakes, rears, seats, and I'm sure some other stuff? What are the common swappable parts?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Suspension and brakes are the main parts, I believe front control arms too.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Suspension and brakes are the main parts, I believe front control arms too.
So direct swap? Easy button or is it a full customization? I'd like to convert my car to 4 wheel disks and maybe upgrade the size a little. I was thinking of a monte rear but maybe this S10 is something to consider.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The fronts off a 2wd Blazer with the hub assembly are a direct swap. Rear disc's do not swap.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
In 82 GM took the G body front suspension, cut roughly 4" of width out from the front crossmember, stuck a different body on top and leaf springs out back and then produced the chassis for another 25 years.

A 98-04 2wd blazer spindle is a direct bolt on.

Front S10 spindles (unless the s10 is a zq8) are the same as a g body from 1979-2004 so no change.

S10 pickups have the same front disks and rear drums as a G body.

A 2wd blazer (or zq8 s10) is the only place to get those parts.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
S10's maintained all of the bad things about a G-body such as heavy, poor brakes, low power and handle like a turtle on a skateboard. And then they added that you need to be 5'10" or shorter to ride in one comfortably.

Other than that, not much is similar.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Make sure you get the dual piston calipers not the single piston one. That is what the G body came with. Note the halfmoon shape on the outside and you can see the twin pistons in the top openings.

Attachments

• FrntAssy3.jpg
    FrntAssy3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: 1 user

82 elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2021
I'm new here and when I had my last G-body 20 years ago all of this information was not available. I keep seeing parts swaps with the S10 pick up and I'm wonding what the correlation is? I've seen updates for brakes, rears, seats, and I'm sure some other stuff? What are the common swappable parts?
if you lighten the front end you can use 4cyl s 10 coil springs work great

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Under 5'-10" Huh? THAT would explain why my S-10 is so comfortable. Now if I could just manage to keep the exhaust system from its relentless efforts to imitate straight pipes.....................

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"Handle like a turtle on a skateboard." Might you be referring to the 1st gen S-10's? I ask because most of the misery I see posted about the genre typically refers to the 88-98 years. My personal ride is an 03 w/V-6 and 4 spd AT and I have no major complaints about it, mechanically. Body-wise, the eyebrows on the wheel houses on the box seem to like to develop cancer but living in the land of the semi-frozen chosen has a lot ot do with that. I did add the rear sway bar assembly to it that I scored from a same gen wreck being dismantled prior to getting squashed and it does help to keep the vehicle flatter in the corners. Of course it rides like a buck board, but I have 200 pounds of sand in bags in tote boxes in the p/u box to create a little preload on the leafs. it also had no problems in delivering me to ST.Paul for the Viking several years ago, even though I blew the guts out of the exhaust during the run up the Central Extension. Loud Pipes?? Sorry cant' hear you over the music!

My only complaint is the factory only installed a four leaf stack for springs in the rear end. May get creative and build a set of custom springs based on a five stack configuration. I changed my non G-Body G-Body to a five leaf stack and it didn't change the ride all that much but did help with the load ability.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor