what is the difference between amonte ss 305 and a 85 camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementoleflows

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2006
im thinking about buying an 85 camaro with a 305 not sure what transmission but its has a shift kit. it runs well and i can get it for 300 would it be a good idea. i have a stock 3.8 right now.

would it be a basic bolt in or would mods be needed? i think its carb and my car is fuel injected. would that motor pass california smog because its from a newer year?

also what drive line would built it?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, some of the parts interchange, some do not. The Camaro's TH 700 R4 transmission is a good piece, but will require a custom driveshaft and a modified trans x member from a Th200 4R equipped G body to complete the swap. If your car is fuel injected, it's not a 3.8., it's a 4.3. If it is EFI, you will need to use a step down regulator before the cab because the TBI's fuel pressure will overrun the needle and seat in that E4ME Q-Jet. The swap also requires a computer harness from a 305 Chevy powered G body that is the same year as your car. The Camaro harness won't work without modification. You will also need a new exhaust system from the manifolds back as the F car downpipe puts the convertor at about a 45 degree angle as compared to the G body which uses pretty much a straight shot back. I used the Edelbrock TES setup for my headers and downpipe, but it costs around $400, IIRC. Plus, I added a 3 in cat and a Dynomax cat back system - both spec'd for a G code Monte Carlo SS because of the larger Corvette style cat used in those cars as opposed to the 2 1/4 in cat used in H code cars. However, the Dynomax midpipe necks down out of the converter and I had this section remade with a better Y pipe fabricated out of 3 in tubing for improved flow. You will also need new springs as the V6 springs will make the car sag in the front. I used Eibach Pro Kit springs and supplemented them with a set of sway bars from a FE-3 Cutlass and an IROC-Z steering box with a G body pitman arm ( F car pitman arms are too long and make the tie rod rub against the frame). That should get you started, but there are many other details to getting this swap right. In the end, you may be better off just buying a Monte SS as it will likely be cheaper in the long run.Then all you have to do is swap in a proper 350 and you'll be set. Plus, California's smog laws can be awfully tough to navigate and end in frustration- you must have ALL of the proper smog devices for the year of the engine, not just the engine itself. ( I love living in a state with no inspections!)I spent almost $5,000 on my mechanicals once I was running -including a new engine, trans, exhaust, rebuilt suspension, cooling system, etc- and I used a lot of used parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor