What Is The First Car You Were Obsessed With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
https://jalopnik.com/what-s-the-first-car-you-were-obsessed-with-1822235863

Just finished reading the "article" above and it got me thinking. Hard.

And I think it was a Turbo Buick - black of course.

GNX on Inclined Track.jpg

I grew up riding in the back of a 2-tone green two door '81 Malibu Classic (which my brother still has).

johnsbu.JPG

So that planted the G-body seed (as did the '79 Elky my Dad bought years later - no back seat there). Ironically, we also rescued another '81 2-tone green Malibu from a junkyard and stuck an L89 396 (yes, with the factory aluminum heads) into it - more on that engine later.

dadsbu2.JPG

clean396.JPG

Around the time I turned 16 I started pushing broom at my Dad's shop (c.1997), and this black Buick showed up in the shop which my Dad's apprentices were fawning over. I didn't understand the attraction to the car with the "Jiffy Lube" logo on it. Fittingly, one of the apprentice's (and now a good friend of mine) had a black '83(?) Regal with a bit of a Pro Street vibe (slammed, hood scoop, 295s rubbing away) which I got rides home in frequently (we lived on the same street). The seed is germinating.

mbuick1.JPG

One day while on the way home from work we ran up against another black Buick which my friend refused to challenge. I didn't understand why? More on this "other" black Buick later.

Now flash forward to 1998, it is my senior year of high school and low and behold my Dad buys a ratty black '86 T-type (smashed quarter panel and all). We worked feverishly to hang a new quarter, doors, and get it painted in time for senior formal/prom. I had my full license for just two weeks before taking a Turbo Buick to a hormone-fuel party. But, that is a whole other story. That Winter the T-type would be fully gone over and given the pseudo-GNX treatment. I drove that car everwhere during my high school victory lap in '99 - coolest car in the parking lot that year.

dadbuick2.JPG

In late-1999 I bought my MCSS and with what little money I had blacked it out and did my best to make it look like the black Turbo Buick I dreamed of.

Alldoneupss2.jpg

It is now Winter of 2000 and I bought the L89 off my Dad for a song and proceeded to flip it for a hefty profit shortly thereafter (admittedly a total ******** move on my part for so many reasons - youth suck) so that I could buy a black '87 Turbo T. In February 2001 this car ended up being the blended with another car I would buy - that same black Buick my buddy refused to race years prior. It was the rolling chassis of a low-10 second car (now I understand why his 305 headed 350 wouldn't have kept up). A sapling had formed.

buildhires.jpg

And in the Summer of 2001 I was rolling around in my very own all-black Turbo Buick. The rest, they say, is history - the roots had set and the tree was bearing fruit.

1 (2).JPG

We sold my Buick in 2015 - but, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Man...You are a true-blue G-Body guy! For me, I think it was probably the C4 Corvette. I know by today's standards it's pretty tame, but back in the day, it was pretty bad-@$$. I was intrigued by the Grand National and GNX, if for no other reason than they were quicker 0-60 than a Vette. Also thought the 20th Anniversary Trans Am was pretty cool (helped that it had the Grand National engine :D). Of course I had the obligatory Lamborghini Countach poster on my wall too. What '80s boy didn't? On a somewhat separate note, I think my favorite "historic" car is probably the C2 Corvette. Such beautiful styling.

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
not gonna lie, it was the 80s

countach-med.jpg

I still have this on my wall btw

Reactions: 2 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Back when I was in the single digits ages I remember being totally fascinated with "truck cars" as I called them.

El Caminos

I've never owned one and really can't find a practical use for one unless I created one with a phantom extended cab with jump seats behind the front to carry the Two Terrors with me.

Even so, if I did get one, it would have to be an early 70s full size Chevy version. While the G Body version is neat. I think it's just too small.

Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Mike, I see your friends got bit by the G-bug as well. 2 Buicks in the driveway, 2 monte's and a malibu on the street.

I have a picture in an album somewhere of 4 friends and our Gbodies ( circa 1990 - 1991 ). All 4 of us still have gbodies and 2 of them still have the same damn car.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Mike, I see your friends got bit by the G-bug as well. 2 Buicks in the driveway, 2 monte's and a malibu on the street.

I have a picture in an album somewhere of 4 friends and our Gbodies ( circa 1990 - 1991 ). All 4 of us still have gbodies and 2 of them still have the same damn car.

While it is true that many of my friends had G-bodies, that picture was just another day at our house. My Buicks and my MCSS, my brother (and his Malibu) is talking to my Dad who is sitting in his LS Monte. There is a Fox-body Mustang just off screen on the far right - it is not one of ours.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I always loved hot rods and customs of all sorts. I became kind of obsessed with VW's and Porsches.
Here's the one I became overly obsessed with and still own after 43 yrs of ownership. I guess I always had a thing for German engineering. I've owned this car longer than any other car.
I
MVC-864S.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor