What I've planned/what I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
I've just pulled apart an 00 GMC Sierra 1500 and have the engine/trans/tcase scattered on the shop floor now. Obviously I have the harness and ECM from it. I've done a bunch of searching and I'm about to pull the trigger on a Rockauto order to make up the remaining parts I think I'll need, but I know there's some gaps. If anyone wants to scan over my list/plan and tell me I'm an idiot or something, I'm all ears.

This is something of a crosspost from my build thread, but nobody reads build threads anyway.

Fuel system:
-Delphi HP10268 pump/sender from an 87 GN
-Stock tank (I know it's not ideal to not have the baffle pan, but the tank was new as of a few years ago, so I'm going to just go for it for now)
-Probably going to use a Jeep EFI fuel filter and mount it up near the tank (I didn't see many comments on what people were using for filters, I have a spare Jeep one and bracket, it just has hose barbs on it so easy enough)
-I'll probably just use EFI rated hose for now, but looking at where the lines would have to run to get over to the stock hard lines on the frame, it's probably a bad idea. I'm guessing there's kits on Summit/etc for lines/fittings to do this in AN?
-00 engine has regulator on the rail, so no need for one elsewhere, hence not buying the Corvette regulator/filter combo.

Oil system:
-Fake Holley 302-1 pan (I thought I was ordering a real one, remember "if it's too good to be true, it probably is". This comes with a pickup and I hope it works and isn't crap.)
-Fake 302-15 dipstick (at least I knew I was ordering a fake one this time)
-Windage tray GM 12558253
-Oil cooler blockoff plate (ordered it before realizing the donor never had a cooler, so it has the blockoff already, but it's leaking anyway)
-AC Delco UPF48R filter
-Fel-pro gasket for the pan (I suspect the gasket my fake pan is coming with will be junk)

Motor Mounts:
-Summit Racing generic aluminum mount plates
-Umi Performance 90058 "clamshells"
-Anchor mounts for Monte Carlo 300051
-Car crossmember will either have to be moved/modified/something, I have a decent fab shop so that shouldn't be a big deal

Cooling:
-Trailblazer radiator (maybe, I have a used one that cost me very little to try)
-Stock rad if the TB one doesn't seem to work (or god knows if it doesn't)
-TB upper and lower hoses if that works (again, have used ones to try)
-Truck hoses/TB hoses/bojang/a steam pipe nipple if using the stock rad
-Use the stock truck water pump/tstat/etc if it all works
-Hoping to run the heater but will just loop the hoses if I can't fit it initially

Exhaust:
-Sketchy eBay "304 stainless" shorty headers for a S10 swap (have a TIG welder and will use it if they don't fit), they come with collectors that have O2 bungs
-Big box of random bends from Summit
-EGR blockoff plate
-Upstream O2 sensors, will probably let the engine light shine for now but ideally will delete the rear O2s programming eventually
-No decisions made on mufflers or cats yet

Transmission/driveshaft:
-Rebuild the 4L60E that came with the truck, and convert to 2wd
-Have a GM 2wd mainshaft and tailhousing already
-Pioneer rebuild kit (not my first choice but holy hell most of the kits are backordered to December)
-Transgo SK4L60E basic shift kit
-I don't think I need to do the upgraded sun shell or anything else, not planning to do anything to the motor...
-Trans cooler lines I haven't decided, I tried to save the truck lines but they didn't do so well
-Anchor trans mount (have to figure out the right one, but it should be for the 2wd version of the donor truck)
-Driveshaft I will figure out when I get there. It's $160 to have one shortened and balanced, so that probably will be the solution providing the slip yoke from the TH200-4R works in the 4L60E, I might want to steal the slip yoke off the truck's driveshaft in case I need it. Also, the truck has a massive aluminum driveshaft, it would be cool to shorten that, but I'm not sure if the guys I deal with for that stuff will shorten/balance one or not, nor if the much increased diameter would cause other issues.
-I believe I can rob one of the VSS (it has two) out of the tcase and plunk it in the 2wd tailhousing and the VSS will function

Misc:
-00 is cable throttle, so my stock pedal and cable hopefully will work
-P/S hoses should fit so I'll order some new ones for a Cutlass with a 305
-Will order a GM 15995679 ECM mount, and I saved the truck one, so hopefully one will fit
-Will have to do some work to the harness for the 4wd to 2wd change, and may cut the rear O2, A/C and EGR parts out at the same time
-Looking for somebody local to delete VATS and other stuff, might just man up and do it myself
-Gauges, I'm not thinking this far ahead. I want to get it to fire. I guess I might be a little concerned about if it has oil pressure or not on first fire, since I'm using a fake oil pan/pickup. My car only has idiot lights so I might have to put an oil pressure gauge in temporarily on a pod. Then build a whole new cluster unfortunately.

Thoughts? I know I'm missing things.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You're spending more on your fuel system than you need to. Just buy the Holley drop in pump assembly and be done with it.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
You're spending more on your fuel system than you need to. Just buy the Holley drop in pump assembly and be done with it.
That costs more than the Delphi pump from RA. Like, 2X as much. Unless I'm missing something.

:blam:

Edit, Holley is $403 CAD and the Delphi pump is $199 CAD.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
Rock Auto has gone down hill on customer service. Good Luck.
I buy from them constantly. They send parts and understand how to ship to Canada. They could screw me on half an order and I'd still be ahead of buying local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor