What liberties do I have with the E-Rod engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
Hey, I am having a dilemma about my El Camino. See I am currently set on a carrier path that will take me most likely in California, if not Washington. My El Camino set up will not pass. I learned before I set off to do the efi conversion that I was planning that the 30 sunset exemption that California had is no more. I really want to keep my car, I am currently working out a budget for the e-rod 376 ci package. I am sure based on some research that if everything is done right I shouldn't have much trouble with the smog agents with the package. I would like to ask two questions, first being for those who did do this swap in their g-body, is any advice you would give to first timers to the LS engine swaps?

This one is more broad, could I modify it to make more power? If so:

What could I do that would be legal, I would like to be able to install an awesome camshaft.

Should I have any issues with a T56 transmission?

What bolts on could I do, throttle body and intake would be nice, is there a chance I would throw in headers?

If I could make those mods to a 2010 vette (I am aware it is the base model engine), could I use those parts on the e-rod since they are the same engine? (In Cali of course)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you might want to look into this...

"Legislation (A.B. 550) to allow an owner of a motor vehicle that is subject to the smog check program to pay a $200 smog abatement fee in lieu of passing a smog test was not considered by committee before the legislature adjourned for the year. It may be considered in 2016.

Reactions: 1 user

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
Basically, if I have read it correctly, if all of the emission stuff installed with the kit, I'll go right on ahead with installing any cam of choice (lets say for fun, get the polluter) and if it doesn't pass the sniffer a few times, just pay $200 every year or two. But I'll have to wait and see if this becomes law, I would like to do it before I mount the engine. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this).

Anyways I looking to see what others did in Cali or any state that now follows the CARB standards.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty much your only option is to install the E-rod as is, 100% to specifications and get your car certified in California. From that point forward you can make any modification that has a C.A.R.B. number and tag. Other mods can be done provided they are not a visible deletion or addition and that when you test your car will still pass all function tests. Short of wanting to do that buy a 1969 or older vehicle and have fun doing anything you want.

When it comes to car regulation California is the worst. Everything must be as original from manufacturer on the intake, engine, exhaust or have a CARB certification number. Good Luck

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I'm in same boat here in Denver! I did a ls1 swap on my GP and am considering the same LS3 E-Rod kit for my Cutlass... so far i gathered most of the stock ls3 parts and if i do add hp its gonna be forced induction!

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Pretty much your only option is to install the E-rod as is, 100% to specifications and get your car certified in California. From that point forward you can make any modification that has a C.A.R.B. number and tag. Other mods can be done provided they are not a visible deletion or addition and that when you test your car will still pass all function tests. Short of wanting to do that buy a 1969 or older vehicle and have fun doing anything you want.

When it comes to car regulation California is the worst. Everything must be as original from manufacturer on the intake, engine, exhaust or have a CARB certification number. Good Luck

What he said, with these clarifications:

With a 1975 or older vehicle there's no smogcheck, but technically it's illegal to "tamper," same as if you did have smogcheck. Then if you somehow get caught with illegal mods, it's a $1000 fine (last I heard).

With a 1965 or older vehicle there's no smogcheck, and it's legal to do anything you like.

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the info, I'll set up a budget for the swap. I hope I can do this before I have to move to one of these states.

I have a question about the steering column, I am planning to convert to manual, do I need to modify it or change it out? Never touched a steering column before.

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
I learned from a youtube video about a shop in Colorado claims they have a camshaft that they sell. The guy made a comment that they did sell a couple of these to CA customers. I am going to contact the shop and get some further details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor