What manual do I need to buy for wiring diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
I'm trying to track down FACTORY wiring diagrams for my '83 Buick Regal Wagon (that was originally diesel). I've purchased the "Fischer Body" "1983 Service Manual" (for BCDEGK and J styles) but that doesn't have the wiring diagrams I need (at least not that I've been able to find).

So the question is...what do I need to be looking for...what manual? I'm definitely interested in an actual factory manual. If someone tells me first hand that Chilton and/or Haynes manuals will have the specific diagrams that I'm looking for (for a diesel Buick) then I'd consider them...but I really expect the factory info is what I need.

I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, lol. I see plenty of requests all over the internet (folks needing wiring diagrams) and the most common answer is "get a manual" which is not a helpful answer if you don't know what to call the particular manual you need. I know with my Ford projects I need an "EVTM" or "Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual." Does GM have an equivalent?

Thanks!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Back when I had my 83 wagons, i bought the Caballero service manual (which was just the Chevrolet manual with a Caballero cover). The wiring diagrams were in the back, as multi-page foldouts.

It appears GM stopped calling them Chassis service manuals and went to just "Service Manual: somewhere between 1971 and 1980

FWIW, my 1980 and 1981 service manuals also have wiring diagrams in them (in color), but not as comprehensive as the 1983 version, which includes connector views and part numbers.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm trying to track down FACTORY wiring diagrams for my '83 Buick Regal Wagon (that was originally diesel). I've purchased the "Fischer Body" "1983 Service Manual" (for BCDEGK and J styles) but that doesn't have the wiring diagrams I need (at least not that I've been able to find).

So the question is...what do I need to be looking for...what manual? I'm definitely interested in an actual factory manual. If someone tells me first hand that Chilton and/or Haynes manuals will have the specific diagrams that I'm looking for (for a diesel Buick) then I'd consider them...but I really expect the factory info is what I need.

I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, lol. I see plenty of requests all over the internet (folks needing wiring diagrams) and the most common answer is "get a manual" which is not a helpful answer if you don't know what to call the particular manual you need. I know with my Ford projects I need an "EVTM" or "Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual." Does GM have an equivalent?

Thanks!
Here's the chassis service manual. The description says it includes the wiring diagrams...

Reactions: 1 user

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
So is the key word a "chassis" service manual? Ribbed roof, you mentioned that but said they may have dropped that nomenclature. Texas82GP...you linked to a "chassis service manual". Is this consistent with your first hand knowledge?

I guess I need to clarify...I'm looking for info for the engine wiring. The Fischer "Service Manual" I now have is clearly a "Body" manual (or "Trim" would be a more applicable term based on the actual assembly plant terminology). It has many wiring "Illustrations" of various door, seat, window, lighting connectors and locations. It does not cover the engine electrical, however, and it does not have a "diagram" of the wiring.

I'll keep my eye out for a "chassis service manual" if that's what I need. That's the real question here: "What is the name of the manual for an '83 Regal Wagon that has wiring diagrams in it?"

Thanks for the helpful responses!

This project has stalled for over 2 years due (only in part, admittedly) to lack of access to wiring diagrams. I'm trying to make some progress on it and this is a hurdle I hope I can clear.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a sampling of what you'll find in the ELECTRICAL section of the CSM (chassis service manual). It may be included with the CSM like in the 87 Cutlass Supreme book, or separate as in the 84 and 85 Cutlass models. They called them Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals. Same stuff regardless of where found.
85 Cutlass A/C compressor wiring...(most G-bodies are similar, but sometimes not)

85 CSM AC compressor wiring 1.JPG

85 CSM AC compressor wiring 2.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The book I linked above is an 83 chassis service manual and should have the diagrams you are looking for.

clemsparks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2009
Columbia MO
Thanks all. I already bought one manual that didn't have the info I need (though I'm sure it will be very nice to have) so I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page (and it sounds like we are) that a "Chassis Service Manual" should have what I need.

Honestly...the Buick ones seem to be going for more than comparable Oldsmobile ones right now (on eBay). I'm leaning toward getting an Olds one just to save myself $60 ;) (assuming the info will be largely the same)

Thanks again for the help. Looks like I know what I'm after now.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Honestly...the Buick ones seem to be going for more than comparable Oldsmobile ones right now (on eBay). I'm leaning toward getting an Olds one just to save myself $60 ;) (assuming the info will be largely the same)
The info is the same....until it isn't. If it does include the wiring diagrams, you'll get ALL the electrical diagrams, engine and transmission and heat/air, etc.

Buy once, cry once. When you had to buy them through Helm, the company that provided them to GM, they were around $200-300. No matter what you pay, 76 or 60, it's worth the price of admission.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The reason the buick ones are more expensive is because they also cover the turbo regal or "Grand National's" so everyone automatically thinks they are worth that much more.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor