What OD Manual Trans Uses Factory Shift Hole for G Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Hi Guys,

My Dad has a 79 El Camino SS, factory 4speed bucket seat car. Building a 383 for him and the factory Saginaw is already noisey and ready to give up the ghost. He's thinking Muncie, but I think he'd be happier with an OD trans in the long run. Are there any that he can keep the shifter in the same spot? Being it's a factory 4spd car and rust free we really don't want to cut any holes in the factory floor.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I bought a Tremec TKO 5 speed kit from Silver Sport Transmission. They set up the transmission with the correct shifter location for the original 4 speed location in my '80 Malibu.

Reactions: 5 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
With a T5/TKO/T56, etc. you are going to have to offset the shifter away from the tunnel centerline a lot to come out the factory side shifter hole. An offset shifter might get it a little closer , so the boot only has to move a little, but I would say it has to move.

The Richmond 6 speed is the only OD trans where the shifter would be in the factory location and they are junk.

I would trim the floor board and remount the boot

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
SST looks spendy. Looks like the best option might just be stay with the Muncie and go 3.08 or 3.23.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I put a Super T10 in mine without moving the factory hole in the floor. I made my own shifter using a mixture of OEM and Hurst parts. Same could be done. It was neither cheap nor easy but I was able to keep the stock hole and not have to move my console.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You could also look into the NP440 4 speed used in the early 80's trucks. They are set up with a shifter that could be mounted close to the factory shifter hole. It's a 4 speed that has an over drive 4th gear.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Bonnewagon may have the answer on this one. I've had a few NP440 (A833) transmissions in various vehicles but not in a Gbody. They came with Hurst shifters from the factory but depending on whether they were 2wd or 4x4 applications, the rod and mounting brackets were different. I guess if you were creative with your welder, you could probably make it fit since they are dimensionally the same as a Saginaw/Muncie/T10.

Wheelspinner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2020
SST looks spendy. Looks like the best option might just be stay with the Muncie and go 3.08 or 3.23.
They are on the high side but when I evaluated EVERYTHING that they included and did, the premium was much smaller and a one stop vendor is good for my time management. JMHO

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Any old school overdrive transmission is going to suck in a performance car, and any new OD transmission won't keep the shifter in the same exact spot. Pick your poison

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor