What oil and how much Saginaw 4 speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
80W90 should be fine. I know there has long been a debate over GL4 vs GL5 in older transmissions with brass synchros. Personally, I'd seek out some GL4 which Napa usually carries. As far as brands go, I've always been a Valvoline guy but any name-brand should be okay.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
GM factory manual says 3.5 pints of 90 weight. In reality you fill up
to the bottom of the filler hole on the side of the trans case. I used to use heavy weight racing oil but found that in cold weather it affected "spin down" time and the gears clashed if I shifted too fast . I went back to straight 90 and that works best. Any decent brand like Castrol, Valvoline, or Pennzoil is fine.

Artomatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2015
Summit IL-Denver co-OC cali
I would recommend 80w90 .. I like royal purple .. For gears box rear diff .. Pretty much I like to spend the extra bucks knowing i won't have to mess with it for a while ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 571
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor