what paint code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i have my 86 monte carlo ss paint stripped and almost ready to paint. the paint job on it was very good but old. my buddy who grew up doing paint/body work in his dad's shop, put on a new nose/bumper cover and repainted a fender that had some damage. but of course, the color didn't match. so, we stripped the whole car and i think i am going to change the color to jet black. how many jet blacks are there? does anyone have a paint code? if i am going to paint it black i want the blackest jet black i can get,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
i have my 86 monte carlo ss paint stripped and almost ready to paint. the paint job on it was very good but old. my buddy who grew up doing paint/body work in his dad's shop, put on a new nose/bumper cover and repainted a fender that had some damage. but of course, the color didn't match. so, we stripped the whole car and i think i am going to change the color to jet black. how many jet blacks are there? does anyone have a paint code? if i am going to paint it black i want the blackest jet black i can get,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Theres hundreds of shades of black. Maybe a lot more.

Reactions: 1 user

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
Theres hundreds of shades of black. Maybe a lot more.
there is thousands of them i think. i am looking to paint it high gloss. i heard there is a color all it's own called jet black, don't know if that is true or not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
There is many shades of black paint. Years ago I used Dupont Centari single stage and the number was 99A Pitch Black on my 61 Olds 88 and first 79 Monte Carlo.
Years later we repainted my Dads 89 Grand Marquis and used Dupont Chromabase/Cromax Jaguar black (I do not have the paint code) but it had a slight purple/ blue cast which took away the normal gray cast found in black paints. Very deep rich, saturated color.
P7150030.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The orginal black used is code 19 or WA848, This is straight black. PPG black will be will be 9000, 9300, or 9700 but is paint line dependent & single stage or base coat. The mix formula is just the black that is used for mixing colors. I used to mix PPG paints years ago & always had the shops that wanted straight black order one of those three PPG numbers. As for other paint systems I can't say if their formulas are the same with just mixing black. FYI, most older black codes for other makes also used this same straight black. I even had an old timer call it "Henry Ford Black". Watch out for newer blacks as they may have blues & reds in them. My '14 Silverado black is one of those blacks. There could even be a chance jet black can be different shades between all the paint systems.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
There is many shades of black paint. Years ago I used Dupont Centari single stage and the number was 99A Pitch Black on my 61 Olds 88 and first 79 Monte Carlo.
Years later we repainted my Dads 89 Grand Marquis and used Dupont Chromabase/Cromax Jaguar black (I do not have the paint code) but it had a slight purple/ blue cast which took away the normal gray cast found in black paints. Very deep rich, saturated color.
I still have a 1/2qt of 99A in my paint cabinet. Centari was great paint. I painted many things with it over the years. I used to mix it with their flattening agent to tone down the gloss when I was doing suspension parts. Now I just use the SEM Hot Rod black. So much easier. LOL

The orginal black used is code 19 or WA848, This is straight black. PPG black will be will be 9000, 9300, or 9700 but is paint line dependent & single stage or base coat. The mix formula is just the black that is used for mixing colors. I used to mix PPG paints years ago & always had the shops that wanted straight black order one of those three PPG numbers. As for other paint systems I can't say if their formulas are the same with just mixing black. FYI, most older black codes for other makes also used this same straight black. I even had an old timer call it "Henry Ford Black". Watch out for newer blacks as they may have blues & reds in them. My '14 Silverado black is one of those blacks. There could even be a chance jet black can be different shades between all the paint systems.
Another great paint. PPG DAR 9000. The local autoparts used to stock PPG and before that Ditzler. Stores long gone now. I sprayed the 406 in my 81 with PPG acrylic enamel. Layed out like glass.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Musou Black or Vantablack. Them beware chipping and cracking. But for a show car you rub with a diaper....

Otherwise the factory blacks for Ferrari/lambo/Bentley is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor