What rims are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I’m on the elusive hunt for original 85 442 ssiii rims. Stumbled on a posting that has these Oldsmobile rims.

What are they? And are they 15’s. I know hard to tell from pic. Lol

I may take a trip out to this old mechanic shop. Just want some info beforehand.

Attachments

• 5F95D4B7-EB00-4B4B-8987-5EC375808FAC.png
    5F95D4B7-EB00-4B4B-8987-5EC375808FAC.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 179
Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Could be 14" or 15", 6" or 7" wide. Tire size will tell you diameter. Size might be stamped on back side. Obviously not 442 rims.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Could be 14" or 15", 6" or 7" wide. Tire size will tell you diameter. Size might be stamped on back side. Obviously not 442 rims.
Yea I knew they weren’t the 442s. So did the ssii come in size 15 as well? I have the 14s now but prefer 15s even if they are not the original 442 ones.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Those in the pic appear to be 14", but again, it's tough to determine solely on the picture. ALL snap-on center cap style SSII/SSIII center sections are the same diameter regardless of rim size. Whether or not they'll clear any aftermarket brakes is obviously another question. The hoop will be the difference in the 14 or 15" wheels.

Not sure who would make the best wheels if you sent them the old wheels, but even if they're 14" wheels, the centers could be used in 15" hoops and get them chromed and make your own set. If you do, the backspacing on 15x7" SSIII wheels on an 85 442 is 4". Don't believe any other BS that they're 4.25". Wheel Vintiques used to use 4.25" BS on their repros and after several attempts to tell them they're full of crap, they kept telling me they were correct. Those idiots. I've measured them personally with my Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory Edition Signature Series tape measure. The kind used by Cal-Tech high energy physicists. And NASA engineers. Dead-on-balls-accurate.

But to get wheels made depends on what your goal is whether it would be worth all the expense and trouble or not.

Reactions: 3 users

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Those in the pic appear to be 14", but again, it's tough to determine solely on the picture. ALL snap-on center cap style SSII/SSIII center sections are the same diameter regardless of rim size. Whether or not they'll clear any aftermarket brakes is obviously another question. The hoop will be the difference in the 14 or 15" wheels.

Not sure who would make the best wheels if you sent them the old wheels, but even if they're 14" wheels, the centers could be used in 15" hoops and get them chromed and make your own set. If you do, the backspacing on 15x7" SSIII wheels on an 85 442 is 4". Don't believe any other BS that they're 4.25". Wheel Vintiques used to use 4.25" BS on their repros and after several attempts to tell them they're full of crap, they kept telling me they were correct. Those idiots. I've measured them personally with my Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory Edition Signature Series tape measure. The kind used by Cal-Tech high energy physicists. And NASA engineers. Dead-on-balls-accurate.

But to get wheels made depends on what your goal is whether it would be worth all the expense and trouble or not.
I don’t have the funds to try and make a new set. Goal would be to obviously find a 442 set, then next best option is 15 inch non 442 rims.

Thanks for the info. I probably won’t go the route on trying to build a set. If I can’t find the original 442 rim, then I’ll atleast settle for 15 inch rims. Car currently has 14s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor