What shift Cable for 84 Supreme /Calais w 3spd auto on the factory floor shifter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
Well I am trying to button up looses ends on my 84 Calais, just swapped in a TH350 for the old th250c. Physically the identical transmission except for the lockup converter connection. I bought a 30" shift cable from Rock Aut and it seems too long. As it makes the swoop out of the tunnel underneath it seems too long and it laid against the exhaust and go fried :{ I used all the correct brackets from G body parts and the cable attaches fine but just seems too long ? Any one here have a solution or advise on what cable I should buy now and where ?
Also attached a pic of the Calais and ------ The Regal Turbo T I just bought. Thanks for reading? P.S. Thanks for the advice on the Regal wheels they are sweet !

Attachments

• 84 Cutlass Calais.jpg
    84 Cutlass Calais.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 87 Turbo T.jpg
    87 Turbo T.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 91

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I had to go with this, don't remember actual cable, but I had same problem on my 86 Cutlass, 307, 2004R trans.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-100415.png
    Screenshot_20220816-100415.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 79

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
Hi Greasemonkey and thanks for responding. I know I have seen this topic on the forum before but could not find it. So I have through trial and error solved my problem The 2 companies that make most of the aftermarket shift cables are ATP. Their # Y-116 is listed at 31" long and for th250/350 trans w/floorshift. Tryed Amazon for this cable and wrong one came ibn the box @#$^%$!** it. So the other company is Pioneer their cable # CA 1102 is also listed at 31" and fits the same trans in a Cutlass w/floor shift. I wanted the cable for a day of under the car , on the garage floor fun on Saturday so I ordered it on Friday with next day pick up from O'Reiilly's and they came through. Now understand that the 1st cable i used was the same Pioneer part # but it seemed about 2" too long and flopped over on the headers and got Cooked and broke. This time the Same Pioneer cable w/same part # from O'Reilly's was 2: shorter and had metal outer cable end retainers. A much better cable than the 1st. So go figure ! The variation in quality must have to do with who and where the part is subbed out to for manufacture, I know I went on a bit here but I hope this helps some other guys solve the problem. P.S. The 29.5 " cables listed by ATP and Pioneer with the Rod on one end are for the 2004r and 200 M trans. Thanks ! Doc G

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yep, no worries, glad things worked out for you. On my 86 it would constantly break even though the one I had was "correct OEM". Actually how I got the the car, the original owner got tired of replacing it, parked it and of course the daughter's boyfriend was a "mechanic"... You can figure the rest from there. I did a writeup on this issue on hot rod forum a few years back but couldn't locate.

On my 86 I ended up going to a B&M Slap-Shifter new cable and bracket and finally the problem resolved. I was bidding on set of lightning rods on eBay at the time, but didn't win, so just went with B&M.

Nice rides BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor