what should i be expecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Building a 350. Bored to a 355. 9.77:1 flat top pistons with 062 vortec heads. 1.5 ratio roller tip rockers. Stock rods and crank. Weiand stealth inake. Summit 1103 cam. Holley 600cfm carb. 700r4 trans and 3.42 gears in a 79 olds cutlass salon. We're hoping for a snotty street motor. Anyone have any opinions?? Thanks!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Thats not a "snotty" cam by any means. But I guess it depends on what you mean by snotty.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
-83MONTESS- said:
Thats not a "snotty" cam by any means. But I guess it depends on what you mean by snotty.
The 062 heads are stock and i read somewhere to watch the cam lift so we went with this. Well, actually my dad did without having my opinion. But its just going to rip around town and see maybe one to two drag strips a year..

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
What is a good cam ? We are still waiting on the machine shop so we have time to send this one back and order another

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Comp he or xe 268 should be close. Look into the camquest program on compcams.com and it should help you find what you're looking for.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Theres ways around limited lift to make power. Personally if I was serious about an engine build I would contact Comp, Lunati, Howards or any other brand about a custom grind. Its easy, tell them what you have, what you want and they will give you ideas. I even got a virtual dyno result with mine! I got a custom grind from Comp for my big block last year for $190 and had it in 3 days counting new years. And stay away from Summit brand cams if you can, there's better out there and the cam is one of the last places you want to cheap out on.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
the stock vortec heads can handle between .500 to .550 lift max in the average best case scenario. In all honesty you should upgrade the valve springs, it is pricey but worth it and although the 1.5 roller rockers are 100x better then stock a 1.6 would have been better usually. That being said I have a vortec 355 in my truck with stock heads but a bigger cam, headers, cold air, and just a base tune in the computer and it woke the engine up a lot. Its pretty snappy in my 5,000 lbs truck and I have ran low to mid 15s 1/4 mile times(yes I know not that fast but not bad for a 5,000 lbs truck. Stock is low 16 sec). I also don't have a stall. From what I have seen the vortec heads flow very well for torque and if you port them you will gain hp but lose a little bit of torque. But as said in a previous post its not all about lift. Its about getting the parts that go along with it like the intake, carb, stall, etc. Comp does make nice cams for those engines and better valve springs will run I think 200$ through comp but handle around .650 lift I believe.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Ordered the xe268 today. Sending the summit one back probably tomorrow. For the cam and lifters it was $166 on eBay brand new in box.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You have to be careful about porting vortecs so you don't lose their velocity which is what makes them so good. Vortecs are all about controlled flow and mixing.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
^^^^^^ This. When I ported my vortec heads I didn't re-shape anything. All I did was a very mild gasket match and opened them up a little bit. They are already good flowing heads from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor