What should I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
I purchased this 86 SS from a member on here, but have no clue what to do with it. Its has the original engine (305)/transmission (2004r), but not the original paint (use to be white). All the seats needs to be recovered (faded) and I have to clean underneath the car a little. Should I paint it back to the original color, keep the original engine/transmission, upgrade the rear to posi or upgrade the suspension? What would you do?

Attachments

• 102_3246.JPG
    102_3246.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 761
  • 102_3253.JPG
    102_3253.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 746
If it were mine, Id paint it black....and drop a crate stroker motor in it. keep the exterior stock and smoke all the ricers daily... :mrgreen:

whatever you want it's your's!.... 😀 if I had a decent SS I WOULD drop in 408 ls stroker, 4l80e, 8.5 ten bolt, big brakes, Shwartz frame, sc&c suspension, leather interior, drop it a bit, paint it back to it's og color, as for wheels.... that's up in the air!!...

The only colors that belong on a Monte in my opinion are black, silver, maroon and white. I like the color you have there. If it were me and I had unlimited money, the car looks cosmetically fine, so I'd focus on power train. I'd go BBC, 700R4, 3.73 Posi 😀

If it's still fairly stock, aside from paint color, I'd keep it stock. I'd probably go back to white too. Weren't all the SS cars posi? If it were already hacked up and the original drivetrain was long gone, I'd say do whatever you want and lose no sleep over it. Let's face it, clean original cars are getting harder to find. The SS has some real future collector potential so consider it an investment. Look back at all the muscle-era cars that were "improved" 30-40 years ago. Today even the lesser optioned, lower performance ORIGINAL cars are worth more than similar cars that were hot rodded. Just something to think about.

DRIVEN said:
Weren't all the SS cars posi?
No it was just an option like all the other G bodies.

I would have a hard time leaving it stock if the car was mine. Mainly because even in stock form these cars dont really get alot of money at sale. If it was a Buick GN or H/O then yeah it would stay stock only if I was looking to sell it. If you plan on keeping this car awhile and having fun in it I would drop a nice 383 stroker with an OD trans and 8.5 LS rear. If you just want to flip it for a profit then just fix the essentials and send it on its way. Just my opinion...

DRIVEN said:
-83MONTESS- said:
DRIVEN said:
Weren't all the SS cars posi?
No it was just an option like all the other G bodies.
Thanks for setting me straight. I'm sure I've read that 100 times. 🙂

I often wonder what kind of car salesman could not talk someone who is buying a Monte SS to get the posi option..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor